The Baby Java Fern Thread

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI all! I did a search here, and noticed a lot of people ask the same question about their Java Ferns:

WHAT ARE THE LITTLE LEAVES GROWING ON MY JAVA FERN?
... or...
WHAT ARE THE SPOTS ON THE BOTTOM OF MY FERN'S LEAVES?

I thought perhaps a catch-all thread about Java reproduction would be helpful (provided members use the "search" function before posting their question in a new thread). Old-hands can teach us newbies, perhaps share their experiences with all those "free plants"!

One of the first things I learned about aquarium plants while teaching myself about the hobby is that these ferns reproduce from spots, or spores, on the leaves. What I personally would like to know more about is:

WHEN IS THE TIME TO REMOVE THE BABY PLANTS FROM THE MATURE LEAVES?
WHAT SHOULD BE DONE WITH THE BABY PLANTS ONCE THEY ARE REMOVED?

WHAT IS THE AVERAGE GROWTH RATE FOR THEM? DOES IT DEPEND ON THE VARIETY OF FERN?

JavaLeafBaby1.jpg

JavaLeafBaby2.jpg

JavaLeafBaby3.jpg

Attach the leaf so that the ‘baby’ is touching something, and in a few weeks it will have stuck some roots to that thing. Then you can remove the piece of leaf it was attached to, if you want to.

ACTUALLY, if the "parent leaf" can be sacrificed, how about trimming the area off and glueing it to a rock, etc?

I thought I read once that the baby plants eventually detatch from the parent. That doesn't seem to be true looking at people's photos.

That's why I started this thread! :)

The parent leaf dies, but it can take a while.

You can glue it, or tie it, or weigh it down with something… but if you want the little one to grow quickly, remove it with part of the leaf and hold it down so those brown roots are on the substrate. It’s only the green roots that shouldn’t be planted. The brown roots will grow into substrate.

Supposedly you can do that with strawberry plants, and I think roses. Outdoor gardening experience can be a plus!

Not sure about roses but strawberries yes, and Java Ferns. The parent nourishes the baby until it can nourish itself. :)

Last edited:
I finally took a chance and ordered some TINY terracotta pots for my baby ferns. Here they are so far (pardon the shmoo in the water... my hand is in a splint so I can't do much that is wet, and there are no fish in there anyway:
2023-12-25_5051.jpg

Larger pot from Michael's
2023-12-25_5050.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back