The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well its sand - I wouldn't use it to wash my face ;)
I have it in 3 tanks which include cories and loaches and its fine for them. Yes absolutley inert and requires less rinsing than many other types.
I'm sold then! I have some lighter colour substrates for two tanks (but not super white, a natural white sand and a natural, well, sand-coloured sand, lol. But wanted a darker coloured substrate for the third tank for some contrast, and to have the red cherry shrimp 'pop'.

I'm making a reminder not to wash my face with it unless I need a good exfoliate. Thank you kindly.

Thanks, crypts are one of the few plants ive never had any trouble growing i think theyre just great plants. When i first got these they melted down to nothing but the roots and now a few months later theyre thriving.
I think sometimes people get enamored with difficult plant species out of a sense of accomplishment or status and ill take the lowly easy to grow crypt everyday of the week and twice on sunday. Cant really see in the pic but in the back is a crypt balanaeas?
Id never had one before so was worried but like most crypts super easy to grow. Come to think of it not sure ive ever had a planted tank without some kind of crypt plant, highly recommend!
Lol funnily enough, the crypt that I have that has flourished the most, like the ones in your pic, was a 'rescue' from a long neglected tank, just a few thin scraggly leaves, coated in a horrible black algae/diatom mess. By the time those had been removed, it was just a sad little bunch of roots. Stuck in my gravel anyway, just to see, and it's one of my best plants! Have a few other crypts now too, and I agree, under-rated plants that can look great.
Thats why i get play sand or blasting sand which is usually around 8 bucks for 50lbs.
If one can afford that fancy aquarium sand though its good stuff!
Different sands seem to be more available in the US, or I'm just not looking in the right places. I can't afford lots of fancy substrate either, my tanks are second hand and I've just the substrate that came with them. But since I'm having to revamp them to move them, I'm putting some thought into the substrates I want. One tank came with a 5kg bag of the natural pale sand, and might be enough for my ten gallon. The only play sand I've found that's aquarium safe is only £5 for 15 kg, so that will go in a 15 gallon https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3650574
And the other 15 gallon is what I'm looking for a darker substrate for. I'd rather get a substrate I'd like and continue gathering wood and rocks from the wild to save on expenses.

Lol funnily enough, the crypt that I have that has flourished the most, like the ones in your pic, was a 'rescue' from a long neglected tank, just a few thin scraggly leaves, coated in a horrible black algae/diatom mess. By the time those had been removed, it was just a sad little bunch of roots. Stuck in my gravel anyway, just to see, and it's one of my best plants! Have a few other crypts now too, and I agree, under-rated plants that can look great.

Different sands seem to be more available in the US, or I'm just not looking in the right places. I can't afford lots of fancy substrate either, my tanks are second hand and I've just the substrate that came with them. But since I'm having to revamp them to move them, I'm putting some thought into the substrates I want. One tank came with a 5kg bag of the natural pale sand, and might be enough for my ten gallon. The only play sand I've found that's aquarium safe is only £5 for 15 kg, so that will go in a 15 gallon https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3650574
And the other 15 gallon is what I'm looking for a darker substrate for. I'd rather get a substrate I'd like and continue gathering wood and rocks from the wild to save on expenses.
Sounds awesome, cant beat free! Awesome about your rescue crypt, theyre scrappy!

Most reactions

Back