The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I know people use Black Diamond Blasting Sand. They say it’s safe for fish and inexpensive.
I've used that on two different tanks and it's great. Some say it's too sharp for cories, but mine always do fine on it.

My observations on the colour of sand, whether black, white or a neutral. @Lajos_Detari in post #7 is bang on the mark. White sand should never be used with any tropical fish, it is stressful and fish colours can often be washed out because of the fish's natural reaction to a light-ish substrate (and it does cause stress).

The same thing can occur with black too. Most fish will darken their colours, but this is a true darkening not a brightening. I did see this with my panda cories several years ago after I moved them from a neutral beige to a black-toned mix for a year, then back to the neutral. I would never have imagined how different they could appear. More recently I learned from Ian Fuller the Corydoras authority that black is not good with cories for this reason.

Fish colour is governed by processes within the fish. The fish has some control over these, but they also act independently as reflex responses in a sense to conditions in the environment. Think of it like the lizards that change from brown to green when sitting on a leaf. The animal has some control over this for certain purposes, but it can also be a response-driven attempt to deal with something that is causing stress to the fish.

Next, on the Black Diamond blasting sand...never use this with substrate fish. it is too rough and angular (look at it under a microscope or even a magnifying glass). Aquarium river sand is safe (if inert and a dark or beige hue, never black nor white), and some brands of play sand are also safe. No other industrial sand is safe according to the catfish authorities and that is good enough for me.

My observations on the colour of sand, whether black, white or a neutral. @Lajos_Detari in post #7 is bang on the mark. White sand should never be used with any tropical fish, it is stressful and fish colours can often be washed out because of the fish's natural reaction to a light-ish substrate (and it does cause stress).

The same thing can occur with black too. Most fish will darken their colours, but this is a true darkening not a brightening. I did see this with my panda cories several years ago after I moved them from a neutral beige to a black-toned mix for a year, then back to the neutral. I would never have imagined how different they could appear. More recently I learned from Ian Fuller the Corydoras authority that black is not good with cories for this reason.

Fish colour is governed by processes within the fish. The fish has some control over these, but they also act independently as reflex responses in a sense to conditions in the environment. Think of it like the lizards that change from brown to green when sitting on a leaf. The animal has some control over this for certain purposes, but it can also be a response-driven attempt to deal with something that is causing stress to the fish.

Next, on the Black Diamond blasting sand...never use this with substrate fish. it is too rough and angular (look at it under a microscope or even a magnifying glass). Aquarium river sand is safe (if inert and a dark or beige hue, never black nor white), and some brands of play sand are also safe. No other industrial sand is safe according to the catfish authorities and that is good enough for me.
I don’t really like how the beige tones look, especially with my neons and angelfish. What is a safe black sand for cories and khuli loaches?

Next, on the Black Diamond blasting sand...never use this with substrate fish. it is too rough and angular (look at it under a microscope or even a magnifying glass).
My experience says otherwise, based on many healthy cories and loaches housed with black diamond substrate for multiple years...

I don’t really like how the beige tones look, especially with my neons and angelfish. What is a safe black sand for cories and khuli loaches?

You should provide what suits the fish, not the aquarist. ;) Black is not going to go down well for cories, but nevertheless an inert black aquarium river sand is all you can use in black. River sand means the grains are not rough due to tumbling in water.

I had black some years ago but did not like it as it was more a dark grey in appearance but worse, it always looked dirty, something I have never had occur with the mixed sands or gravels.

I have had this 29 gallon freshwater tank for a little over a year and I want to change it up, the blue substrate has spots on it and I frankly think it’s kinda ugly. I was thinking of doing black sand, but I’m now leaning towards white sand, would this look good? I also want to know if anyone has ideas on decorations or plants (Ones that snails, shrimp, and bristlenose pleco won’t eat) that could go with the sand to make my tank look a little better and more lively, maybe hide the filter a bit? Alighting change? I really want my fish and the tank to pop. I don’t have a high budget, so if anyone could point me in the direction of some low budget stuff, I was thinking $40 as a start and maybe adding more stuff later on. Looking forward to getting some ideas!!
If one wants black sand on a budget use black diamond blasting sand. Its inert, meaning it wont change your water chemistry, it inexpensive, about 8.00$ for 50 pounds, its suitable for plants as it composition is perfect for holding roots and it doesnt compact and its safe for fish and doesnt need to be rinsed more than once unlike other aquarium sands. Heres mine with black diamond blasting sand.
20200728_202824.jpg

Last edited:
Byron will warn you against black diamond sand as he will against pool filter sand which is round but many aquarist have used blasting sand with bottom dwelling fish to much success with healthy fish.
I have a bolivian Ram in my tank, Rams are Earth Eaters and he regulary sifts through the substrate for food and he has yet to show any signs of distress or harm, his gills and mouth are healthy looking and hes active. Ive used play sand as well and ive has sand that is smoother than blasting sand and sand that is coarser than blasting sand. Blasting sand has 3 sizes i use the medium grain size because i find the fine grain to be too messy and easily sucked up but it is a fine powdery grain that is suitable for bottom fish.
Thats my 2 cents on blasting sand.
Having said that play sand is just as inexpensive inert safest for bottom fish and requires lots of rinsing and can be a bit messy when cleaning. Other than that cant go wrong with most play sands.

Last edited:
If one wants black sand on a budget use black diamond blasting sand. Its inert, meaning it wont change your water chemistry, it inexpensive, about 8.00$ for 50 pounds, its suitable for plants as it composition is perfect for holding roots and it doesnt compact and its safe for fish and doesnt need to be rinsed more than once unlike other aquarium sands. Heres mine with black diamond blasting sand.View attachment 111090
I love how well those crypts are doing! I have one crypt that is growing like that, and have taken two more plants from it, would be great to have more of them keep growing like yours, I like it a lot.

I love how well those crypts are doing! I have one crypt that is growing like that, and have taken two more plants from it, would be great to have more of them keep growing like yours, I like it a lot.
Thanks, crypts are one of the few plants ive never had any trouble growing i think theyre just great plants. When i first got these they melted down to nothing but the roots and now a few months later theyre thriving.
I think sometimes people get enamored with difficult plant species out of a sense of accomplishment or status and ill take the lowly easy to grow crypt everyday of the week and twice on sunday. Cant really see in the pic but in the back is a crypt balanaeas?
Id never had one before so was worried but like most crypts super easy to grow. Come to think of it not sure ive ever had a planted tank without some kind of crypt plant, highly recommend!

Last edited:
Ooohh! I was looking at limpopo sand today! I'm considering it for my 15 gallon, and it seemed a reasonable price for 20kg. It's definitely inert, right? Does it feel rough to the touch at all? https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/sand/1...MI7LWP-qvz6gIVVeztCh2BqQ1wEAQYASABEgLUmfD_BwE
Well its sand - I wouldn't use it to wash my face ;)
I have it in 3 tanks which include cories and loaches and its fine for them. Yes absolutley inert and requires less rinsing than many other types.

Well its sand - I wouldn't use it to wash my face ;)
I have it in 3 tanks which include cories and loaches and its fine for them. Yes absolutley inert and requires less rinsing than many other types.
I really like the look of that sand but that price? No thanks.

I really like the look of that sand but that price? No thanks.
I thought the price was pretty good, since it's a 20kg bag. Most of the aquarium sand bags are asking for £10-20 for 2-5 kgs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back