Taking in unwanted fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The first gourami looks like a dwarf. The second looks like an opaline three-spot.

I don't know of anyone who could take your yoyo, and I've never kept them, but I have kept two other botia-like species, the zebra and the dwarf chain loach. Both of those are very social, and both talk when they're excited. My zebras sound like popcorn popping when they're really riled up about something (usually food).

I've read that there are probably several very similar species that are misidentified as yoyos, which probably accounts for the widely varying accounts of their aggressiveness. Does yours have markings that spell "yoyoyo" down its side? If so it's probably the real thing. Anyway. Hope you can find him a home and some friends.

The first gourami looks like a dwarf. The second looks like an opaline three-spot.

I don't know of anyone who could take your yoyo, and I've never kept them, but I have kept two other botia-like species, the zebra and the dwarf chain loach. Both of those are very social, and both talk when they're excited. My zebras sound like popcorn popping when they're really riled up about something (usually food).

I've read that there are probably several very similar species that are misidentified as yoyos, which probably accounts for the widely varying accounts of their aggressiveness. Does yours have markings that spell "yoyoyo" down its side? If so it's probably the real thing. Anyway. Hope you can find him a home and some friends.
That's been my experience with trying to ID the botia in my dad's tank. Look like yoyos, but without the distinctive Ys. Don't seem to match any other species photos, but I know their markings change as the fish mature, and these are eight or more years old, while most identifying photos are certainly not. So they remain a pair.

His markings look almost exactly like the pics I looked up. If I put the tetra in a different tank eventually, do you think my tank could accommodate 3 yoyos? The more I watch him, the more I like him.

His markings look almost exactly like the pics I looked up. If I put the tetra in a different tank eventually, do you think my tank could accommodate 3 yoyos? The more I watch him, the more I like him.
How big is this tank? I don't remember and I'm too lazy to read the whole thread again. :)
T

So I have been doing some reading and it looks like I might be able to do 3 or 4 in this tank, since in captivity they almost never grow to wild sized. The red tinged barbells indicate the he is actually a he. once I have the 10 gallon up and cycled I will put the neon tetra in there and bring them up to a full school. It looks like I will be doing RO water for 2 softer water tanks instead of just this one.

Well, like I said, I'm no expert on the species, but I think a 29g would be too small for a herd of yoyos. You really want at least five or six to promote natural social behavior and spread out any aggression issues. More is better.

The trouble with three is that two can team up and bully the third. Agreed that 5 or more spreads that out and lets them form the right kind of social structure.

Well, like I said, I'm no expert on the species, but I think a 29g would be too small for a herd of yoyos. You really want at least five or six to promote natural social behavior and spread out any aggression issues. More is better.
Ah, that is pretty disappointing. And 29 gallons is really the max size for my apartment unless I get rid of other tanks.

Check to see if you have a Culligan dealer near you. Many have a RO water fill station that you can fill up your container or buy their water jugs.

Ah, that is pretty disappointing. And 29 gallons is really the max size for my apartment unless I get rid of other tanks.
Keep looking for someone who has yoyos (if he's definitely a yoyo) who can take him in. Better a good life for him in a group than you having to rearrange everything or give up tanks you like for a rescue fish. Maybe research if dwarf chains would be possible for yours

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back