Taking in unwanted fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If you intend to keep the tank, make sure it is completely empty before moving it. If any water is left in it will slosh around during transport which will twist the tank and weaken the seams.
Fish in covered buckets is fine, you can even use something like old towels to cover the buckets.

Keep them in a darkish place for a while after you move them as they won't have seen the light for ages,.
I can put black paper around the tank to keep it dark.

Also, would I be better of putting the spare filter from one of my other tanks on there? I keep a spare one running on a cycled tank in case of emergency.

I realize I could use this to start up the cycling 29 but there is no reason not to do it the old fashioned way since I won't be buying fish for it until it would be cycled anyway.

Also, would I be better of putting the spare filter from one of my other tanks on there? I keep a spare one running on a cycled tank in case of emergency.

I realize I could use this to start up the cycling 29 but there is no reason not to do it the old fashioned way since I won't be buying fish for it until it would be cycled anyway.
Yes a cycled filter will be good

Yeah, not a great situation all around. I was thinking one of the gourami(?) could go into my 29 gal community for now. I have another 29 gal cycling right now so the other could go in there once it is ready. I figure I could increase the smaller fish to 6 or 8, or see if the lfs will take them.
Is the 29G community empty? I wouldn't mix those fish with your existing fish. They could be carrying anything

Update!

After a long and harrowing journey I finally have the fish. It id 2 dwarf gourami, 2 tetra, and a yoyo loach. I will post more, with pictures, in a minute. I am acclimating the yoyo and the 2 gourami into my 29 gallon for now (I put my emergency pre-cycled filter on it) and putting the 2 tetra in my 5.5 qt. Or I can temporarily put them in my 3 gallon cylander.

I already called my lfs and they said they wouldn't take them, since I didn't buy them from them and they don't want to go to the bother of quarantining them.

They will be the only fish in the tank. Would it be best to just keep the 2 neon? Tetra in the 29 with the loach and 2 gourami.

Just be weary of the Yo Yo loaches they can get pretty nasty and have been known to pick the eyes out of small fish. Probably best keep it on it's own. I was sold three to keep in a 40l tank, They told me they would be fine with my other fish and the tank was large enough but I soon found out they actually get very big and are best in a species only tank! Just a heads up. Have you kept a Gourami before they need a really slow flow.

Just be weary of the Yo Yo loaches they can get pretty nasty and have been known to pick the eyes out of small fish. Probably best keep it on it's own. I was sold three to keep in a 40l tank, They told me they would be fine with my other fish and the tank was large enough but I soon found out they actually get very big and are best in a species only tank! Just a heads up. Have you kept a Gourami before they need a really slow flow.
I was too tricked with Yoyo's! A platy fry turned cyclops and guppy fins were shredded. Horrible things imo

Here are some pics of the fish. I had them in the bucket overnight, with a bubbler over my cycled ceramic media, along with a heater. Long story behind that one. I have been gradually adding more light today and now I finally got home to put them in the tank.

Attachments

• 20200801_130528.jpg
    20200801_130528.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200801_130456.jpg
    20200801_130456.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200801_125803.jpg
    20200801_125803.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200801_125833.jpg
    20200801_125833.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 79
I will put an add online to see if anyone wants him, otherwise he and I are kinda stuck together.

Have not kept a gourami before, but my aqua clear 50 has an adjustable flow on it.

I was too tricked with Yoyo's! A platy fry turned cyclops and guppy fins were shredded. Horrible things imo
Luckily they never ate my fish as my friend warned me of them whilst they were still very small. They dont actually kill for food they do it for fun.... creepy. If I had more room and money I probably would have kept them in a species only tank but I dont and I was very fortunate that my LFS took them in for me. They also eat all snails in the tank. Creepy but fascinating haha!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back