Taking in unwanted fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Here are some pics of the fish. I had them in the bucket overnight, with a bubbler over my cycled ceramic media, along with a heater. Long story behind that one. I have been gradually adding more light today and now I finally got home to put them in the tank.
Those fish are so lucky it was you who found out about them! They would have starved to death in that storage (the mind boggles) or been flushed :(

Haven't kept yoyos, but do have a pair of botia very similar to them in a community tank without issues with the other fish at least, but also heard the other day about a group of yoyos working as a pack to kill an oscar... so I'd be wary. They're pretty long lived and very social within their own species, so if you can quarantine him and search for a home that has a pack of yoyos he can join, that would probably be for the best.

I will put an add online to see if anyone wants him, otherwise he and I are kinda stuck together.
Try the fish pages on reddit. Or @WhistlingBadger , you have that beautiful tank with zebra yoyos in it you created... I know he wouldn't work in that tank, but do you know of any others or any people that keep yoyos that might be willing to take in a singleton?

I'm just wondering if he's young, a life as a singleton isn't much fun for a botia at all :( I feel so sorry for the two in my dad's tank, they do suffer without the social bonds of a group, and they're a smart fish I'm sure.

Luckily they never ate my fish as my friend warned me of them whilst they were still very small. They dont actually kill for food they do it for fun.... creepy. If I had more room and money I probably would have kept them in a species only tank but I dont and I was very fortunate that my LFS took them in for me. They also eat all snails in the tank. Creepy but fascinating haha!!
I really tried to like them and accommodate them and everything, in the end I hated them, as bad as that sounds. I managed to rehome mine as no FS would take them, first time I'd ever parted with a fish and no felt weird about it lol. Bloody hard things to catch aswell!

Here is what the gourami look like. Any ID on what kind they are?

Attachments

• 15963136204258414889829069508620.jpg
    15963136204258414889829069508620.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 80
I really tried to like them and accommodate them and everything, in the end I hated them, as bad as that sounds. I managed to rehome mine as no FS would take them, first time I'd ever parted with a fish and no felt weird about it lol. Bloody hard things to catch aswell!
I think I read somewhere that meat is a big part of their diet? I got some frozen food for them, as much as I dislike the possible parasites they cause (or so people on here have said).

I think I read somewhere that meat is a big part of their diet? I got some frozen food for them, as much as I dislike the possible parasites they cause (or so people on here have said).
I dunno tbh, this was quite a while ago I had them, I also didn't have them in a big enough pack so its probably my fault it didn't work out. I'm just being to hard on them for what they did to my platty fry. Ignore me, I'm ranting lol

Took me like two hours to get three in a Tupperware box! I know your pain!!! I only have two tanks and couldn't bare to watch them kill the other fish I had the same feeling dont worry!

Here is the 2nd gourami.

Attachments

• 20200801_134428.jpg
    20200801_134428.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200801_134418.jpg
    20200801_134418.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200801_134448.jpg
    20200801_134448.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 77
Ok so they are all acclimated and in the tank. The tetra are sticking together and so are the gourami. The loach is running around the tank eating the bloodworms I put in. Don't mind the cloudyness. I had to add more tap water since after acclimating fish all of that water gets dumped out. I still have to add the background to it too.

Attachments

• 20200801_140410.jpg
    20200801_140410.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 80
Still can not believe someone just left them like that, I was picking up one of my daughters from college and we saw a large aquarium sitting on the side of the street. I checked it out and there was about 3 inches of water in it. It was in real bad shape but my daughter noticed movement and I found a small pleco and a silver dollar. We rescued them but the silver dollar died the next day. The pleco lived for many years.

Ok so they are all acclimated and in the tank. The tetra are sticking together and so are the gourami. The loach is running around the tank eating the bloodworms I put in. Don't mind the cloudyness. I had to add more tap water since after acclimating fish all of that water gets dumped out. I still have to add the background to it too.
Good luck!! They are probably really appreciating their new tank right now!! And some fresh water! I reakon the gourami will come out in fantastic colours as the days go buy. :) It's big enough for the other fish to swim away from the Yo Yo loach so hopefully they will be fine for now. Keep us updated!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back