FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

jessicarf00

Reaction score
i have a hob filter which i have never changed the filter media in. iā€™ve been doing research and iā€™m wanting to switch the media to a sponge so i wonā€™t need to buy new ones and so that my tannins wonā€™t be filtered out. my question, however, is how? should i put the sponge in the filter, leave it for awhile (2-4 weeks?) then take out the old filter media? any advice would be appreciated!

Itā€™s a good idea to have a good mix of filter media.

What do you have in there now?

I would remove half of what you have in there now, and fill that new space with the sponge. The sponge is nice and course, so it provides lots of surface space for bacteria to grow.

put the new sponge in the filter and leave it with the old sponge for 2 months. then chuck the old cartridge if you no longer want it.

What do you currently use as filter media? If it is a disposable filter cartridge what you can do is cut the filter floss and remove the carbon and leave the sponge in the filter (like you thought) for a couple months. When you are ready to dispose of the cartridge if you can cut off the floss and keep it on the filter for another month just to be safe.

I would remove half of what you have in there now, and fill that new space with the sponge. The sponge is nice and course, so it provides lots of surface space for bacteria to grow.

right now, all i have is a pf-s filter cartridge

I'd add bagged ceramic media, instead of a sponge....I don't keep sponges in ANY of my HOB's, they get too nasty over time...ceramics are much easier to rinse in old tank water.

How long has the tank been set up?....is it cycled?....fish?

I'd add bagged ceramic media, instead of a sponge....I don't keep sponges in ANY of my HOB's, they get too nasty over time...ceramics are much easier to rinse in old tank water.

How long has the tank been set up?....is it cycled?....fish?
the tank is fully cycled, i set it up may 16th and iā€™ve had my betta fish in since june 13th! my biggest problem with my current filter media is that itā€™s carbon so it takes out my tannins. where do you recommend getting ceramics from?

the tank is fully cycled, i set it up may 16th and iā€™ve had my betta fish in since june 13th! my biggest problem with my current filter media is that itā€™s carbon so it takes out my tannins. where do you recommend getting ceramics from?
Carbon is not the best media to be using, it's not even needed, except in certain circumstances

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHSG5M/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Provided you have substantial floating plants (which are highly advisable for a betta), and the fish is a solitary betta, you do not need biological or chemical filtration. Even the filter itself could be removed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back