Someone Has Laid Eggs! Help Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No, they will have to fend for themselves.
Only other tank at present is home to a cantankerous crown tail betta.
Just twelve corys in the big tank, so if the eggs are fertile and don't get eaten we'll see how many make it. From the previous two batches I saw six fry and three survived, so 50% survival rate.
I get excited knowing they are fat and happy, so I am doing right by them.
Also, at present with only one day off a week, I just don't have time to care for fry properly.

As to help, just passing along what I have learned from others. Next you'll be giving pointers to domeone else with thier first spawn.

Aww I hope they make it. 50% survival is quite good for being left in the tank. Yeah it's such a feeling of achievement knowing you've got it right!

Like I mentioned earlier, I moved the rock in mine and they were hiding under it. I have read cories do not eat their own fry, I have however added my first ever ram. He's still a juvenile but fry are food so I hope they remain hidden. 
I have learned a lot from you so I hope I will be able to help others like you've helped me :D

What type of ram? Have my eye on Bolivians.
As to survival, well other than limited space I would be thrilled.

I just made my sig and he's in it lol. He's a gold ram. I couldn't decide between the gold and the blue. 
I like the bolivian rams but they need at least 30 gallons and mines is 25. I chose the gold since it's smaller and recommended tank size is 20 gallons. 
With everything though, as long as the water is spot on, there shouldn't be a problem. I almost came back with the festivum until common sense kicked in that it's far too big for my tank, he was gorgeous too.

Good looker, maybe FOTM?
I know the feeling about the festivum, sometimes I just want to have a tantrum and scream, But I Want It! I Want It! I Want It!

Thanks! If I get a better pic then yeah!
Honestly I was there for ages, the red rams, the gold and the blue. The GBR are stunning, I picked the gold because you always see the blue.
If the sales assistant hadn't said to me, look the festivum gets to 6 inches you need to think about then not now, I would have snapped it up! Then sat in the corner feeling like a naughty child with the "oh no, what have I done" feeling :p.
There's no feeling worse than wanting something and not being able to have it. 

Rams 100% will go for the fry !!! I'd say let your tank settle down for some time before adding something else.

Fishkeeping also means that you'd know when not to buy (although LFS says you should / could) and if your tank is stocked to the limit. Beware for overstocking as well = Biggest reason for diseases

Thanks for the advice. I have had guppies for almost 2 and a half years now, it was time to move on! I have had my eye on rams for ages so i'm glad I did it. 
I had about 10 guppies and 3 platies in that tank, now it's down to just 1 ram so the bioload will be easier on the filter. I still do 50% water changes on a sunday and my stats have been stable for ages now. I have heard rams are quite sensitive to water quality. 

If you look very closely, you see one of the cory fry, in the main tank hiding against the pebble!

DSC02088_zps0948af80.jpg

awww tiny little one !!! Rams sure are sensitive for waterquality and Ph !! Weekly waterchange is perfect.
My remark was about not having the Festivum by the way !!! Think that's a good think not being a dwarf cichlid.
I like angels and have one "saved" one. Not buying others, cause my tanks are to small for a nice group of them.
Have to get a bigger tank first. Instead I bought two Keyholes (in between cichlid without a cichlid attitude).

Yeah that's why I took a chance. I know the water has to be spot on and my ph is always very low. This will stop me getting lazy :p 
Did you see the fry in that pic? There are more in there which is why I haven't done siphon or moved anything around too much!

If I get a bigger tank (someone near me is selling a 160L/42 gallon for £100!) then I will have that festivum. It was so graceful and gentle :)
I love angels too, especially the black ones, but my tanks not big enough either :(

Hahahaa you can't get lazy !!!! Good thought.
Can't you siphon the fry up and place them again in your breeding-tank.
I did a waterchange yesterday. Without wanting to I siphoned (english???) 4 Aneusfry out of my tank.
Dropped them in again offcourse.

Should festivum not be also in a larger group as Angels should be (5 / 6 min.)

I don't know, I just wanted it lol. 
I don't want to chase the fry out of hiding into the rams mouth. If I miss with the siphon they will be eaten for sure, I will leave them where they are. They have made it this far. 

Well out of a batch of around 50 only three eggs left. So no joy in Mudville.

Most reactions

trending

Back