Someone Has Laid Eggs! Help Please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

frapadoodle said:
Yes, ambiacus are lovely. So are the elagans.
Sadly, I only get to tour the shops once a month. Last time I was in the fish only shop had a single panda and a single skunk. Should have got them, but was set on upping my peppers, and at thirteen, the bottom is stocked.

Although, I do have one little bronze with an identity crisis. He cleaned a java fern leaf, in prespawning behaivior, and defended that leaf like a cichld.

So why giving up the albinos?

That is adorable! Yeah you should have gotten the panda and skunk, the pandas are only small! Mines swim about in the middle with the guppies sometimes, it's so cute!
I go every friday to pick up my live food and have a look lol. 
The albinos were my landladys, she gave me them as part of her bronze/albino breeding group. I will give her them back in case i'm overstocked.
I was getting worried about my cory fry, I haven't seen them eating, I have put in liquifry for the first 2 days and now that they are bigger I give them tetramin baby which I use for guppy/platy fry. I haven't actually seen them eat the liquifry-do they absorb it? They are evidently getting bigger, so they must be, but I just don't see it.

No, they don't absorb it, but being so small it's hard to see them eat.
They also munch on the microscopic goodies on plants, substrate, et cetera. If they are growing they are eating.
My oldest fry survived for about a month withoutneing fed. It had vanished, then had a power cut this past winter, and lost all my stock. Then this little one pops out of the java fern as a survivor. For a month I had just left it running without adding food.

I might get the panda and skunk if they are still there.

frapadoodle said:
No, they don't absorb it, but being so small it's hard to see them eat.
They also munch on the microscopic goodies on plants, substrate, et cetera. If they are growing they are eating.
My oldest fry survived for about a month withoutneing fed. It had vanished, then had a power cut this past winter, and lost all my stock. Then this little one pops out of the java fern as a survivor. For a month I had just left it running without adding food.

I might get the panda and skunk if they are still there.

Ok that's good them I am just getting frantic - should have seen me when my black guppy fry were born, I just about flooded the tank with tetramin baby as I didn't see them eat! 
Aww sorry about your loss, that's awful but that one little baby surviving is a miracle! 
I went today to get the ambiacus and it was gone, I did however get 3 long fin peppered cories that they were selling as deformed for £5 bargain!

Though I don't like longfins (Mine died some weeks ago : it's name was "Ugly" hahahaha) really a good idea to number up the Paleatus-herd !!!!

Why don't you like them? ugly??? haha  :p I like them, they are certainly different. 

I will post a pic of the fry they are getting big. I think it's fascinating that they behave like adults already by shuffling through the sand!

I simply don't like human-bred fish (strange colours, longfins aso). Ugly could hardly swim normal or lay down on the sand in a normal way. Natural ones are beautifull enough to me. But hey that's me.
By the way ; There are natural ones with a very long dorsal fin !!!!

DoubleDutch said:
I simply don't like human-bred fish (strange colours, longfins aso). Ugly could hardly swim normal or lay down on the sand in a normal way. Natural ones are beautifull enough to me. But hey that's me.
By the way ; There are natural ones with a very long dorsal fin !!!!
My long fins wont sit still, I think I posted in the other thread that they don't have a problem swimming but I have a problem taking pics of them! 

So my fry are about 4 days old, they are getting huge now compared to before! Some are dark and some are clear-could it be some are albino and some are bronze or do they just develop at different paces? 

I am really starting to think I have a mix of albino and bronze. I just wanted to know if that's possible. I know they are the same family like platies/swordtails. I have tried to get a photo, unfortunately I left my camera in my partners car and he's away at work so phone pic it is lol.

Here they are at 5 days old. 
40a9796a-4772-4a47-8822-7b16c465d1e4_zps6e2145c6.jpg

I don't know if you can see in that pic, some are light and some are dark. I took the leaves and air stone out to take the shot lol,. 

Fry change appearance over time. Be patient- it will be some time before you can tell what you have.

The problem with cross breeding in tanks is the fish tend to get "shared' in the hobby and that is the issue. If your fish keep spawning and you keep saving the eggs, how many of these fish will you keep and if its less than all, who gets them?

And even if you give away or sell them with full disclosure, you have no idea the buyer will do the same etc.

Dutch- I wonder if you keep bristlenose, discus, angels, parots, guppies, endlers, bettas and a lot of other fish? It is the rare fishkeeper who only has wild fish. most of the ones I listed are not only mostly tanks raised, they are either cross breeds and/or fish line bred to fix traits.

And then what about those fish extinct in the wild which have only survived because fish keepers across the world kept them? I breed zebra placos. I started with wild stock. It is illegal to remove zebras from Brazil and soon due to the belo Monte dam project they are likely to become extinct in the wild. While my breeder stock may have Beem removed from Brazil, the 100s of offspring I have sold over the years meant that many more wild ones did not have to be removed.

I just didn't know if it was possible or if the albinos laid eggs and the bronze laid eggs and I didn't notice. I didn't intend to breed. I have kept sterbai, ambiacus and bronze for 2 years and they never spawned. I just lowered the temp for the platies as they weren't moving much and the next day eggs. Oh well.

Most albinos are albino bronze.
My three fry are from a bronze daddy and albino mommy. Honestly, they look just like the other nronze. Wasn't aiming to breed and never collected the eggs.

Seems we have gotten s bit into tje purity club here.
It's fine and noble to breed endangered species, but I don't usually ask the lfs to see the breeding history of the fish I get.

frapadoodle said:
My three fry are from a bronze daddy and albino mommy. Honestly, they look just like the other nronze. Wasn't aiming to breed and never collected the eggs.

It's fine and noble to breed endangered species, but I don't usually ask the lfs to see the breeding history of the fish I get.

Oh wow they crossed? That's awesome! Yeah I thought that, my landlady was also saying that. That that's where albino comes from, they are just albino bronze. So I am not creating a new species haha I am just doing what everyone else has done. 
Lets be honest here, most fish we buy from the LFS have been crossed at one point or another. 

Dutch- I wonder if you keep bristlenose, discus, angels, parots, guppies, endlers, bettas and a lot of other fish? It is the rare fishkeeper who only has wild fish. most of the ones I listed are not only mostly tanks raised, they are either cross breeds and/or fish line bred to fix traits.

And then what about those fish extinct in the wild which have only survived because fish keepers across the world kept them? I breed zebra placos. I started with wild stock. It is illegal to remove zebras from Brazil and soon due to the belo Monte dam project they are likely to become extinct in the wild. While my breeder stock may have Beem removed from Brazil, the 100s of offspring I have sold over the years meant that many more wild ones did not have to be removed.
1000 times sorry, that's a mistake I made in translation!!! Human-bred, tank raised offcourse are super. I am breeding Corydoras myself! I just don't like the bred ones that have been disformed (as I see it) and have bred / different colours than the wild version. I don't like to keep wild caught ones as well(for ethical reasons offcourse).

Corydoras (Panda) longfin, Neon Tetra Longfin, Goldfish hardly recognisable as fish aso..... I think it's a shame disforming fish for human reasons, being beautifull in their natural form and colors.

I am keeping bristlenoses (females so they don't breed hahaha), a saved Angel, about 100 Corys of several species, cardinals, Pearls, Keyholes Cichlids, asoooo. All human bred / tank raised.

Greets en excuses for the mistake.

Oh wow they crossed? That's awesome! Yeah I thought that, my landlady was also saying that. That that's where albino comes from, they are just albino bronze. So I am not creating a new species haha I am just doing what everyone else has done.
Lets be honest here, most fish we buy from the LFS have been crossed at one point or another.

These are indeed no hybrids! Color is depending on the straign there parents came from. If there weren't any albino's in the straign of the bronze parent (bronze overrules albino) all fry will be bronze. If there were, fry could have both colors.

I have just had a tragedy! I came back in from outside and the fry trap was lying on it's side
sad.png
there's only 6 babies in there now. In a panic I removed the 20 something guppy fry as the oldest ones are almost 3 months old so can easily eat the fry. I have put them into the main tank. The other cory fry who escaped have probably been eaten
sad.png
do cories eat their own fry as I have 4 albino in there too. 

This is the fry tank, it's got black substrate and lots of wisteria so I will never see them if they do survive. 
photo69_zpsc941e750.jpg

Absolutely gutted

I have found 6 newborn guppy fry so it's them and 4 adult albino cories in there, plus any survivors.

Some will. But Mine never bothered the fry, but eggs were a different story.
Sorry about the incident, with the trap.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back