Rorie's Fish House Project

Fishes are in!!

So today i moved all my fish into my fish room! It took quite a while acclimatising etc, but thats me done.

I also spent a lot of time making my frame for my discus stand. In hindsight it would have made sense to build the discus framing from wood. I think this stand is simply too wind, and although it will hold the weight, it will flex and crack the tanks! Annoying! But this framing will take away that problem. I still stand buy my decision to buy the framing for the rest of the fish room though - the metal doesn't flex :)

I have also now wired up my LED lighting into its exact position (the trial run shown earlier was quite close to the tank. Photos to follow tomorrow.

For now, here is a photo of my support frame :)

My link

The framing looks good! I can't remember where your 3ft was, but will it be easy for you to get a new one in, or was it at an awkward place?

THANKFULLY its in an easy to get to place (behind the door). BUT, when i was fixing it all up (i.e. drying all the water) i pushed the stand back. I then put my cubes on and only once they were full of water did i realise that the stand it too far back to add more levels to. arg. Never mind, when i have money to buy more cubes i can take it all apart and move it a few inches forward.

Who's the daddy?!

So i had two discus pair up while in the house in their temp. tank while i built the fish room. They laid eggs weekly and always got them to free swimmers. But the water and parameters was never going to be good for them to survive.

So i have a cube in the fish room for them, hopefully going to get some fry. And next to them, i have a tank of three other discus which were in my display tank.

The fish have been in for two weeks now, so things are settling down. But i just found a discus fanning eggs! Not from the pair though, one out of my other tank! Its the female fanning the eggs, but the other two are males....no idea who's the daddy though!!

DFRY-1.jpg

DFRY-2.jpg

Excellent mate
w00t.gif
Do keep us updated as to how they progress, as I could really do with some tips on getting the fry to survive. I am pulling my hair out with mine
angry.gif

Excellent mate
w00t.gif
Do keep us updated as to how they progress, as I could really do with some tips on getting the fry to survive. I am pulling my hair out with mine
angry.gif

Well i am by no means a pro with discus! But, i see it in a few distinct phases. All IMO!

1) laying the eggs. Eggs can be laid by two females, so if you are able to judge the sex by the tails, thats a start.

2) keeping the eggs. In a community tank, or a tank with any other fish (for example my tank) then the eggs will vanish over night. This was the case in my tank last night. But was to be expected. Sometimes the parents will eat the eggs if there is a bad fertility rate as its not worth their effort raising 5 fry! Or at least thats how i see the reasoning.

3) If you manage to keep the eggs, can you get them to wrigglers? This will prove for sure that they are fertile (though you should know before that!)

4) Free swimming. When they release from the cone/glass or what ever and latch onto the parents. I had a lot of trouble with this stage - the fry wouldn't leave the cone and go to the parents. Just before this stage the mum will suck the fry up, clean them, and spit them back at the cone. I also sruggled with this as they spawned on the glass, so the swimmers never stuck back on - just fell to the floor and were forgotten about.

In my tank when the water was dirty, the free swimming stage (latching onto the parents) never got past 3 days. But i blame the water quality for this!

Excellent mate
w00t.gif
angry.gif

Well i am by no means a pro with discus! But, i see it in a few distinct phases. All IMO!

1) laying the eggs. Eggs can be laid by two females, so if you are able to judge the sex by the tails, thats a start.

2) keeping the eggs. In a community tank, or a tank with any other fish (for example my tank) then the eggs will vanish over night. This was the case in my tank last night. But was to be expected. Sometimes the parents will eat the eggs if there is a bad fertility rate as its not worth their effort raising 5 fry! Or at least thats how i see the reasoning.

3) If you manage to keep the eggs, can you get them to wrigglers? This will prove for sure that they are fertile (though you should know before that!)

4) Free swimming. When they release from the cone/glass or what ever and latch onto the parents. I had a lot of trouble with this stage - the fry wouldn't leave the cone and go to the parents. Just before this stage the mum will suck the fry up, clean them, and spit them back at the cone. I also sruggled with this as they spawned on the glass, so the swimmers never stuck back on - just fell to the floor and were forgotten about.

In my tank when the water was dirty, the free swimming stage (latching onto the parents) never got past 3 days. But i blame the water quality for this!

I have breeding pairs, and everything going: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/375715-breeding-my-discus/page__p__3144506__fromsearch__1#entry3144506

And I have managed free swimmers to day 5, but man is it tough. Egg laying and wrigglers is now easy peasy, but it is the fry I am having a tough time with. I think there is a very fine line on the water parameters, but I am struggling to find it
angry.gif
. If you find the perfect TDS number I would pay handsomely for it
wahey.gif

Been following this thread for weeks, congrats on all the work your putting in - going to look great when it's finished.

The games room

While my tanks fishless cycle, i am working on my games room. Walls are painted (other than a couple touch ups), the skirting boards are on, the doors are framed, the lights are up! Just need to do a couple days work, then the games table is going in :D

games-3.jpg

games-5.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back