Need help with large project (to me at least)

OMG_FL

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 18, 2023
Messages
137
Reaction score
203
Points
43
Location
Sri lanka
I got a 100gallon tank that I'm thinking of making into a low tech planted tank.
Tho I've done planted tanks never this big
First off I'm running on a pretty tight budget so some issues I'm having directly corelate to that

I'm planning a mid-back island with driftwood and some dragon stone with anubias( barter, nana, coffe), val behind the island, rotala along the back, some crypts here and there with hydrocotyle tripartita around the island (not a full carpet)
No co2
No full spectrum light

1.I got some glass panels lying around so for a filter I'm making a sump but I don't know how much volume it would need (length is 4ft max)

2.How powerful of a pump would I need for that sump (chatgpt said 2500lph is marginal )

3.For the nutrient rich substrate I'm thinking bottom layer of compost or topsoil or a mix of both with next layer of aquasoil capped with 1.5-2" river sand(would it work ? What could go bad ? Is it even worth doing it? If it is what ratio would be the best ? Is combined heights without the sand 2" enough ?)
Also what are the pros and cons of using 100% aquasoil or 100% compost/top soil

4.Since I'm not doing co2 how powerful of a white light would i need

Feel free to give your opinion on on anything
 
I have one of those! A very low tech, planted, 6 foot/2 metre big tank, but with no sump. I have a big Fluval FX canister and use that along with a very old model of the largest aquaclear HOB.

My substrate is sand and pool sand mixed. No dirt. No soil. If the only stem plants you have are things like Rotala (I also have stands of Vallisneria american in zones of the tank), use root tabs. It's far less expensive and works. If you are using Anubias and Bolbitis as plants, and I have a jungle's worth of them that have grown over time, why use a messy substrate?

Soil imposes severe limits on what fish you can keep. If you are set on soil or compost, then go for a high tech planted tank. Plants would be your priority with that substrate. I get excellent growth with no soil.

By a white light, I'm guessing you're thinking of a standard led shoplight? I have gotten good growth with the eqivalent of 2 of them, but I was given a box of LED aquarium lights and stopped using my shoplights. I found the amount of black clump algae dropped radically when I stopped with just bright white. I had had trouble there.

Low tech means long time. It can take months for the plants to take off. There's no instant gratification involved, but it pays off handsomely with patience.
 
I am a big fan of Jeboa DC pumps for my sumps.
They are reasonably priced and offer digitally controlled flow rates.
They are quiet and do not transfer heat since the power converter is not in the tank.

I have made several sumps and fresh water and saltwater sumps should be different.
You don't want all the overflows marine filters use as you want to contain any natural CO2 as opposed to remove it.
I like this design if you want to get creative.
sump-jpg.453737

img_0868-jpg.464329

Only one baffle/overflow which also allows you a greater volume of water before refilling due to evap is necessary along with helping to contain any natural CO2.
The plan was taken from a build on TPT;
Hope the link is allowed.

If not up to a custom build then an empty sump with sponges from Swiss Tropicals will work very well also.
I run my 180g with 40,30 and 20 ppi sponges. They make sponges to fit aquariums so all water has to pass through them and will not just go around.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top