Summer the slow season

GaryE

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
11,297
Reaction score
20,580
Points
113
Location
Eastern Canada
So fishwise and forum wise, summer is the slow period in North America. My local club is having a year end party, my local store is stopping the ordering of fish, and I expect posting here will slow down.

What are people planning for the summer? Gardens? Trips? Fishing? Lying semi-comatose in the heat and humidity? Missing sub zero temperatures, howling wind and driving snow? Working to get money for school?
 
Lying semi-comatose in the heat and humidity?
That's me. I much prefer to wear the amount of clothes suitable for the temperature, and if the temperature rises to remove a layer. It's when I reach the last layer and to remove that risks being arrested for indecency that I can't cope.
Apart from wearing fewer clothes and hiding from the sun (I burn badly) my summer is much the same as winter.

My husband, on the other hand, will be in the garden all day wearing a pair of shorts and loving every minute. I've given up trying to make him wear sun block though I have persuaded him he needs to cover his balding head in the sun.
 
This summer we will take the kids and grandkids to the seashore. I will also travel up to the Catskill mountains to visit the grave sites of my mother, brother and stepfather. Finally my wife and I will visit Madison, Wisconsin to attend the annual Handel aria competition.
 
I’m fencing, without a foil, so it’s either getting my butt handed to me, or a ton of work… this will be cattle fences, that will have to hold a mature Scottish Highland bull…
IMG_9605.webp


I’m about half done… the sheep are such efficient grass mowers, that I had to turn more over to them, and I’m still supplementing hay for the cattle, at least in a couple weeks I should be able to have the cattle on all grass , for the summer…
 
these taken early spring, this year… his name is Woolly Bully… he is not really a “wild bull” but has never been on a 4H lead, or been brushed… he won’t charge me, and will take an apple from my hand otherwise he doesn’t like to be touched, and likes to whack his big horns around…
IMG_9189.webp

IMG_9190.webp
 
Last edited:
We break for a brief commercial. We need a couple more entries in our Fish of the Month contest… this month is featuring Bettas. If you have a Betta, please enter it in in the contest. Read rules before entering.
click link below:

And now we return you to our regularly scheduled topic.
 
Last edited:
I fear the lack of Bettas shows a drop off in beginners joining the site. That's a worry.

As for @Magnum Man , that's just a lot of bull. I mean, it's a summer thread, and that looks like snow to me...
 
Yep….for me it’s Car Shows, yard stuff (mostly my hydrangeas), seeing the grandkids, fishing, napping with the dog, and insect collecting. But, I do still find time to sit in my fishroom pivoting chair or recliner every day for a bit. :fish:
IMG_2029.webp
IMG_7448.webpIMG_7375.webpIMG_7224.webpIMG_6437.webpIMG_6940.webp
 
You don’t BS around!
 
Photography (birds mostly), garden, time with the pup, and... work. I was going to retire but with all that is going on decided to keep working for a couple more years. I usually take time for proper vacation in the spring and fall. Some recent bird pics, Red Winged Blackbird and Ruddy duck.
DSC_0183_001_RWB_YellowLake.webp
DSC_0380_20260605_011_RuddyDuck_WhiteLake.webp
 
Which just goes to show how out of touch I am. I've just made a new summer weight dressing gown and the lining is that colour 🤣
 

Most reactions

Back
Top