The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zikofski

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Comparison and Review on the new and old UP Inline Diffuser's

When i entered the world of Injected Co2 i did some research and came across lots of diffusers some internal some external and inline with the filter, now considering i already had an inline heater and wanted to keep equipment outside of the tank i was kinda biased towards the inline diffuser.

now on initial research i discovered two types of Diffuser, both made by UP, but the question was which one was better and which one was newer? and what are the differences, well the older model was very small, a lot of people recommending them but the biggest problem was they are hard to clean. now the newer model is larger, not a lot of people recommending it being newer, but was able to be cleaned easier.

Now from that verdict i went with the newer model thinking well its newer so it should be at least as good if not better and its easier to clean and something like that is always good to have, so i bought it and on average i use around 4 bubbles per second i thought it was good now whilst i was researching for the diffuser people was telling me you should expect a fine mist to come from the diffuser. Well i did not have a fine mist coming from it in fact i was having a few bubbles quite large bubbles compared to some now so far all is good i get 30ppm on my drop checker and my plants are doing fine, until i did a little more research and noticed i was running almost 2 to 3 times more bubbles per second than most people are for my size tank got me thinking, i still wanted an inline diffuser do i make my own or get the older model so i went with the older model.

Good & Bad Points to the New Model
firstly i shall note a few problems with the newer model that i also notices, altho it was Very good to clean, it was a pain to put back together, it was large and bulky meaning it took longer for the Co2 to build not to much of an issue but ye was annoying one of the biggest problems was the way it was made, the ceramic cylinder is loose so you can take it out it is sealed together when you screw the casing together it is squeezed onto two rather hard rubber washers, which seem to break there seal if the device when in operation leaks all the co2 into the water within second's so i wonder if the seal was any good to begin with and that the pressure of the co2 was leaking into the tank via this potential gap, i would of expected a softer rubber one that is able to squeeze to form a better and a tighter seal.

Good & Bad Points to the Old Model
Now onto the problems of the new one, well there is only one in my eye's and thats you can exactly clean it very well i have only had it 2 days now and its a vast improvement in my tank already using less co2 aka bubbles per second to get the same 30ppm, i now know why people said look for a finer mist and you will see in the video too, but again this device is small compact the suction cups it comes with are brilliant.

so onto my video i made this video to back up what i say and to show you how different the out come is inside the tank it is short but sweet get to the point quickly hope it dose not bore you to quickly
smile.png

Video of the Mist
http://youtu.be/45rQoqF8nOc

Comparison Picture New vs Old (New is on Left)

Break down of the New Diffuser

Cheers Z , I was trying to decide which one of the two would be better.

In summary which one do you think is best or did you just get the new one?

overall i am now using the older one and ye it is far better more robust stronger sealed properly and the fine mist is far better

IMO the new version you are using must either be faulty or as you said not fitting together correctly. 

The size of the bubbles are far to big, if the Co2 was passing through the (new and clean) ceramic correctly it should be coming out as a mist like the older version is. 

As you said the huge advantage with the new version is you can take it apart to clean, where as the old version is a PITA to clean. 

i agree livewire it is surprising how different these are the thing is, the bubbles you see in the video is also what i saw when i first installed it before i ever opened it up there is a notch to ensure correct fitting and i have tightened the top on so tight it was almost impossible for me to get it of afterwords so i am stumped no idea how i could test further to see what it is has anyone else got the newer version and have this problem?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Back