Questions about keeping betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishguy13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have seen many amazing pictures of betta on here and now I am looking to get some, and I just had a few questions. I am actually hoping to breed them do you recommend that to a person who has been keeping fish for a bit over a year? and can you keep shrimp with or will they be eaten?

It depends on the temperament of the betta. :)

Also, breeding betta fish is not that complicated, but raising the fry is. :)

Hello all,
I have seen many amazing pictures of betta on here and now I am looking to get some, and I just had a few questions. I am actually hoping to breed them do you recommend that to a person who has been keeping fish for a bit over a year? and can you keep shrimp with or will they be eaten?
Bettas were the first egg layer I induced to spawn. My experience up till then was pretty meager. It worked out. Go for it ! Grab the bull by the horns and watch your aquarium skills go warp speed.

I could go into fine detail about all that will take place if you want to breed betta fish, but only if you want me to.

Also, please note that once the baby betta fish get a certain age, you will need a ton of tanks to house all of the male beta fish. :)

I could go into fine detail about all that will take place if you want to breed betta fish, but only if you want me to.

Also, please note that once the baby betta fish get a certain age, you will need a ton of tanks to house all of the male beta fish. :)

I heard all you need is jars? Don't you just put the jars in a plastic tub filled with heated water?

They are easy to breed. Get a male and few females and keep them separate. Have lots of floating plants in the tank, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best. Feed them 3-5 times a day and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day.

The male will build a bubblenest among the floating plants. When he builds the nest you can put the females next to his tank (assuming they aren't already there). A couple of weeks after he has built his nest, you add a female to the tank and monitor them. If they are compatible they will breed and the eggs get put in the bubblenest to develop. After they have bred, you remove the female and leave the male to look after the eggs and fry.

The eggs hatch after a couple of days and the fry start swimming about a few days after that. The fry are small and need green water, infusoria or boiled egg yolk for the first 2 weeks. Then they can be fed newly hatched brineshrimp. The following link has information on culturing food for baby fish. It takes about 1 month for cultures to build up so start them before you breed the fish.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

Thanks for all your it will probably be about 2 months until I can get the tanks, yes I have heard the same thing about putting them in jars is that suitable?

Some fish will eat shrimp and some won't. It depends on how big the fish are and how big the shrimp are. If there are lots of plants in the tank, the shrimp can hide better and fewer will be eaten.

OOH man betta breeding is hard i have read all about it if you want to give it a try GOOD LUCK but you have to separate the female and the male once they have done there egg laying thing then separate the female from the fry once they have hatched the males will make a bubble nest then the fem ail will lay eggs in the bubbles and he will fertilize them and so on and so fort again GOOD LUCK hope the fry do well!!!

I have also heard of people doing that, I guess it might be ok, if it is cycled, and it has a heater and proper filteration. :)

You might want to consider getting a 20 gallon long, Andy then dividing it? What is your opinion @Colin_T? :)

I have also heard of people doing that, I guess it might be ok, if it is cycled, and it has a heater and proper filteration. :)

You might want to consider getting a 20 gallon long, Andy then dividing it? What is your opinion @Colin_T? :)For the fry? Won’t be enough divided areas. Large jars are fine but they should have some heat as fry.
I would advise to find LFS to buy them before starting. Some stores only give credit.

I leave all the young together in a rearing tank and watch them as they grow. After a couple of months you will see young males showing off to each other. When this happens, scoop those little guys out and put them in separate containers. We used 2 litre plastic icecream buckets with an airstone bubbling away gently. We changed their water every day, using water from the main tank.

If you don't have a heated fish room, you can set up a large plastic storage container with water and a heater. Then float the icecream containers (housing 1 male Betta) in the storage container so the water stays warm.

Thanks for all your help, in Australia we have a website called gumtree where you can sell your pets.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back