Questions about keeping betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You can sell them on Ebay too. You're in Victoria and there are heaps of pet shops there and most of them will buy fish from customers. If you get too many for the shops to take and you have thousands of healthy nice looking fish, you can contact the major suppliers in Australia.

I'm pretty sure Aquarium Industries is in Melbourne. https://www.aquariumindustries.com.au/ They are an importer but sometimes take fish from local breeders. However, the fish have to be good quality and you don't get as much for them because you sell them bulk. But it can help you unload a few thousand fish if you need to.

Hello again still have not got tank set up but was wondering if the male would eat the fry?

The male will look after the eggs and guard the fry for the first few weeks. Eventually he might get sick of them and want to build another nest, and if this happens you should move the young out or move the male out.

If the male is left with the babies they will sometimes look after them until they become sexually mature at about 3 months old, then the dad will kill any young males.

Most people remove the father when the young are between 2-4 weeks old.

I could go into fine detail about all that will take place if you want to breed betta fish, but only if you want me to.

Also, please note that once the baby betta fish get a certain age, you will need a ton of tanks to house all of the male beta fish. :)

I have also heard of people doing that, I guess it might be ok, if it is cycled, and it has a heater and proper filteration. :)

You might want to consider getting a 20 gallon long, Andy then dividing it? What is your opinion @Colin_T? :)
What benefit will the 20G long be? I’m confused.

What benefit will the 20G long be? I’m confused.
The benefit of the 20 gallon long, is so you can divide it up into a lot of maybe 0.5-1 gallon sections, for the fry. As long as it is heated, and filtered, they should be fine. ;)

The benefit of the 20 gallon long, is so you can divide it up into a lot of maybe 0.5-1 gallon sections, for the fry. As long as it is heated, and filtered, they should be fine. ;)
I’m sorry, but That won’t provide enough space for all of those fry.

I’m sorry, but That won’t provide enough space for all of those fry.
I know. I was saying If you got a 20 long, it would house some of the betta Fry, not all of them.

As for the OP try to see if your LFS will take some. :)

(Oh, and Congratulations @Deanause for reaching 2,000 messages! :drinks:)

I know. I was saying If you got a 20 long, it would house some of the betta Fry, not all of them.

As for the OP try to see if your LFS will take some. :)
Jars in warm water would be a better choice.

What about filtration? I know bettas don’t need filtration, but it definitely couldn’t hurt! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back