Price For Pseudotropheus Demasoni

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

curlyriff

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

Just wondering what a good price is for Pseudotropheus demasoni. They seem to be very expensive maybe due to there popularity.

I wanted to get a large group depending on what is recomended. They are to go in with Yellow Labs that I can get for £4.15 for 4-6cm which doesn't seem so bad but the cheapest I have found the demasoni is around £12 each.

The Tank is 119.7x35x65cm and around 250litres (65 US Gallons). That is actual tank volume once decor and that have been taken into consideration. I am wondering what sort of quantity I could get in the tank.

I was thinking (hoping) somewhere around 6-8 Yellow Labs and 12+ for the Demasoni. Could anyone give there view. I would also like a small group of catfish if possible?

What options do I have for catfish and is there anything else that I can get instead of the Demasoni that could be similar in qty but not so costly?

Thanks for any help.

Kind Regards,

Adam

check out the relevant section on http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/tropical_fish.php

check out the relevant section on http://www.aquarist-...opical_fish.php

Cheers for the link. Have been trying to read through but there seems so much but not what I want. There are some amazing fish though at great prices. The Cobue Dogtooth Cichlids look like another option and I can get them slightly cheaper at around £9 a fish.

There were some nice yellow labs for sale at around £2.50 each but it is too far to travel at around 3 hours each way with no post option which is a shame.

I have been reading the allot of the threads on here and noticed how this seems to have taken off over the last year or so. If anyone has any cichlids that they are wanting to sell in the Oxfordshire area PM as well as I would be interested.

Kind Regards,

Adam

the guy i got my fish from sells demasoni @4cm for £6 . not sure if hes got any left tho . theres a link to his site in my journal

the guy i got my fish from sells demasoni @4cm for £6 . not sure if hes got any left tho . theres a link to his site in my journal

Cheers Mark,

I have actually Emailed Tony after clicking on the link about the Demasoni as they are currently shown out of stock. Was planning on getting the Yellow Labs from him too although aquaticstoyourdoor are cheaper I don't know what there quality are like.

Thanks again and your tank looks great in your journal.

I am just in last stages on my 3D DIY Background and will ready to add fish in about 2-3 weeks so just trying to get idea on prices. My local shop is the Gold Fish Bowl in Oxford which is good but very costly. There Yellow Labs are £13.95 each at around 2.5" which seems high.

Kind Regards,

Adam

thanks adam . £13.95 for yellow labs? thats shockingly overpriced . i cant comment on the quality of the fish from aquaticstoyourdoor as ive never seen their stock , but i can honestly say tony fish are top notch .

Tony has got back to me saying that he will have some Demasoni in about a month so will order from there. Am also interested in the Cynotilapia Afra Jalo Reef which should also be ready around then so am currently thinking 8 Yellow Labs, 8 Cynotilapia Afra and 12-16 Demasoni if he has enough stock.

Would this be too much for my tank based on 72 US Gal (272 litres) accoding to the calculator on here. It is internally sumped which holds a further 20 US Gallons (75 Litres). The return pump is rated at 2000lph and is adjustable.

I am at moment trying to sort out what media to use and starting the fishless cycle today.

Kind Regards,

Adam

id say for a tank your size 15 demasoni and 15 yellow labs would be a good stocking they are small species mbuna wise, could probably get some jalo reefs too but i have a feeling because they are similar looking to demasoni they might get killed. then if you want some catfish id get some cuckoo`s maybe 4 or 5

went to my lfs today and demasoni were £10.99 (whoa), yellow labs £4.99 (which is fair)

i managed to get cuckoo catfish for £9.99 each which seemed cheap

d say for a tank your size 15 demasoni and 15 yellow labs would be a good stocking they are small species mbuna wise, could probably get some jalo reefs too but i have a feeling because they are similar looking to demasoni they might get killed. then if you want some catfish id get some cuckoo`s maybe 4 or 5

went to my lfs today and demasoni were £10.99 (whoa), yellow labs £4.99 (which is fair)

i managed to get cuckoo catfish for £9.99 each which seemed cheap

Cheers for the input Creg.

I am going to Tony for my fish as my LFS is extremly expensive. The price for the cuckoo catfish doesn't seem too bad. Yeah I wasn't sure on the Jalo Reefs but thought with the difference in colour it may be enough. I thought that Yellow Labs got a little bigger at aroudn 4"-5" compared to Demasoni which seem to be around 2.5" - 3.5".

If I could get that many yellow labs and Demasoni that is good though and should look better for it. After speaking to Tony he does a good deal on groups of 10 for the Demasoni so I will most likely go 20 Demasoni and 10 Yellow Labs especially if they are of different sizes with what I thought as that should give a better balance in contrasting colours.

Thanks again for your help. The Demasoni seem to be getting higher priced at moment and I also got offered 50 Yellow Labs for £100 including postage but they are only 1.5 - 3cm at moment. Did think about buying them and selling on but don't have the space even with them at that size that is allot of fish.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Just so you can see where I have got to. Here are some photos that I had of the 3D Background. Only just got around to uploading these. Will try and get some pics with the water in cycling up at the weekend.

Hope you like.

P.S Concrete was still setting so thats why it looks a little odd.

IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg

:drool: That background is going to look great once it's in! Keep us updated! :good:

Thanks for the input and will do. Looks allot more flat in the photo than it does in real life which is a shame but once I get some new photos sorted will uploaded them.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back