Pleco Died, Platy sick? Also wood question.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I did ich x and salt about 10minutes apart.

I ended up doing 15 teaspoons of salt for a 10 gallon aquarium which is about half of recomended amount. If my bristlenose is doing fine in the morning I will go ahead and add another 15 teaspoons with tomorrows water change.

About 4.5hrs after adding salt & ich x.

Havent got a good view of bristlenose but he is moving around the back of the tank.

Lydia the silver red and black platy was sitting on the bottom of the tank looked like she was struggling a bit. She started being more active when my camera was flashing so may have been sleeping but her body was curled almost like a c.

Will check on them again in morning.

Attachments

• 20190226_003527.jpg
    20190226_003527.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 20190226_003152.jpg
    20190226_003152.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 20190226_003011.jpg
    20190226_003011.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 20190226_002953.jpg
    20190226_002953.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 20190226_002944.jpg
    20190226_002944.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 20190226_003147.jpg
    20190226_003147.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 223
The small silver platy died. Pleco is doing fine. Adding 15 teaspoons of salt & doing water change/ich treatment.

So after i have the full amount of salt (30 teaspoons for 10 gallons)

When i do water changes(1/3rd of the tank every day because of ich treatment right now)

I am suppose to add more salt with every water change?(i guess 10 teaspoons?)

There's no need to add salt if you are using a medication to treat the fish for whitespot.

You shouldn't be doing water changes between treatments unless there is an ammonia or nitrite issue.
If you are going to do a water change during treatment (because you have an ammonia or nitrite reading), then do a 90% water change and retreat the tank straight after the water change.

I am using ich x for the white spot.

The salt is for gill flukes. Even though the fish suspected to have gill flukes died, if she did have gill flukes it may have spread to my other fish.

The instructions on ich x say that i need to treat at least every 24hrs and do a 1/3 water change before each addition of ich x.

Since i am doing ich x and salt at same time and have to do water changes every day for the ich x.. That means i have to replace the salt every water change to?

Attachments

• 20190226_231753.jpg
    20190226_231753.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 198
Any time i get online and try to find the ich x product safety sheet their website listed on the bottle says "sorry, the page location you requested has been changed, use the search bar or navigation links above to find what your looking for." And i tried but i cant find it.

I guess I am suppose to treat for two weeks in this manner. Which would mean 14 teaspoons of ich x with 1 teaspoon a day. Thats 2.3 oz a bit over half the bottle. Am i doing something wrong? I think i am following the instructions.

If you are using Hikari Ich X then I checked their website and tried their product safety sheets. All I got was a Hikari website with a bunch of adverts on it.

The Hikari Ich X contains formaldehyde (a preservative), methanol (a type of alcohol), and Malachite Green.
Malachite green is carcinogenic so avoid getting it on your skin and wash your hands with warm soapy water after handling the medication or working in the tank.

Methanol is pretty toxic too but is diluted into the water and should not be an issue.

Formaldehyde is a preservative that you should avoid contact with. It is regularly used to pickle/ preserve animals in science labs. You should not get it on your skin. If you do get it on your skin, wash it off with warm soapy water immediately.

----------------------
Malachite Green treats protozoan infections like white spot, costia, chilodonella, trichodina and velvet.

Formaldehyde is regularly used in fish medications to help preserve the medication and stop it going off, but it also kills a lot of microscopic organisms that harm fish.

Methanol is used in some medications to make other chemicals more soluble in water.

----------------------
I would stop using salt and finish the Ich X treatment. Just follow the directions like you have been doing. You need to continue treatment for at least 4 days after all the white dots have disappeared from the fish.

After the treatment you can do a few big water changes and then look for Praziquantel to treat the fish for gill flukes. Praziquantel is much safer for fish has the added benefit of treating tapeworm and gill flukes.

If you plan on getting more fish, then don't treat the tank with Praziquantel until you have the new fish. That way you can treat all the fish at the same time. If you have a quarantine tank, then you can treat your main display tank after the Ich X, and treat any new fish for worms and gill flukes when they are in the quarantine tank.

Thank you. My hands broke out with a rash now I know why.

I hope no more of my fish die I don't want to buy any new fish I rather wait for my fish to hopefully drop fry if all this medicine didnt make them sterile.

They survived the night but my yellow female is drooping her tail quite a bit like its almost hanging down.

I read treating ich x can reveal other problems like fin rot because the fish has wounds all over their body.

Will just have to wait and see.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back