The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hy3gons

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
As I type this one of my beloved guppies is dying. I bought the poor guy and an adult and he was in pretty rough shape. I'm surprised he made it 8 months in my tank.

My plan right now is to fill his place with another male guppy, but I was wondering if there would be any other good tank mates.

Once he is gone my tank will have 2 male guppies (adults,) and a nerite snail. The snail doesn't spend much time in the water so I don't know how much it really affects the bioload. (All of it's poops can be found on the side of the tank outside of the water.)

The tank is ten gallons with a Tetra Whisper 10I filter, lights, and is kept at 75 degrees. The only real plant in it is a moss ball because I have not had good luck with live plants in the past. The bottom of the tank is covered in black gravel. I have a large fake plant towards the back, and a smaller one next to that. There are also some little prop things that the guppies like to hide under/in. I feed my current inhabitants a combination of TetraColor Tropical Fish Flakes, Freeze-dried Daphnia, and the occasional veggie (lettuce, zucchini, cucumber....)

In the past my guppies have been very aggressive. I've lost two because their buddies decided to rip their fins off. I haven't had this problem since January of this year. I like to keep my guppies in groups of three (yes, even though they are all male,) because of this. I used to have five, and they just didn't like it I guess.

So I'm wondering if there would be any tank mates other than guppies for these guys. I want to avoid bottom feeders/cleaning fish because of the snail. I was thinking maybe neon tetras but I don't know if I have room in my tank for a school of them.

Any input is great! I don't trust the people at my LFS after a guy told me I could keep Pea Puffers with my /aggressive/ male guppies.

Shrimp, maybe? I feel that another school of fish would be pushing it, and a betta is risky with guppies.

ZephyrStarPlaties said:
Shrimp, maybe? I feel that another school of fish would be pushing it, and a betta is risky with guppies.
I'm just thinking along the lines of fish really. I assumed that there probably wouldn't be much else I could put with two guppies without overstocking. A betta is out of the question in my opinion. My guppies are feisty but I have a bad feeling about mixing a betta in with them. Thanks for answering!

No problem! Now that I think about it though, you could probably try some endlers.

ZephyrStarPlaties said:
No problem! Now that I think about it though, you could probably try some endlers.
I might! My only worry with them would be aggression from the guppies, although maybe they wouldn't care much about endlers.

A while back I used to have a guppy tank too. I kept a small group (around 8-10 I believe) of Corydoras catfish with them. These fish are SO adorable and barely affected my bioload at all. They are technically bottom feeders, but mine would swim all along the sides of the tank and rest on plant leaves, not boring or lethargic looking at all. They got along great with my guppies who were, like yours, quite aggressive. I prefer the albino ones, as they provided a fun, bright-white addition to my somewhat natural looking tank. They don't really require a ton of care, I just popped a bottom feeder tablet in there once a week and they did great! I really recommend these little dudes. They are really fun to keep, and the guppies barely ever noticed them. Once again, SO ADORABLE too!!!

Most reactions

trending

Back