New Tank Is Home

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CheniseMummy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Right ive had my nw tank delivered its around 21 gallons or 90 litres.

It filthy there is limescale, algae and grime everywhere on the lighting ouside of hood, tank. what to clean it with.

Im starting from scratch for planted tank. Ive just brought 2 2ft super glo and full spectrum lights for the tank. Im going to use black small smooth gravel with and under flora subsrate.

Im planning on useing very week solution of bleach. and washing it thoroughly with pressure wahser on my hose pipe.

What can i use to make the glass streak and water drop free.

Dont bother with bleach.

You just need a razor blade (the type used as a pill cutter) and water, it'll remove everything.

Hi Chenise' Mom and Welcome to the beginners section!

Pressure washing would just put undue pressure on the glass joins I believe and I don't think would help much with limescale. In fact, mineral deposits on glass, limescale, are notoriously difficult to remove, especially without damaging your glass. Glass is more easily scratched than one thinks.

There are people that get really, really serious and use hydrochloric acid. But this is quite dangerious and requires PVC heavy gloves, eye protection and special clothing and shoes even, so its rare anyone goes that far.

Going down a pretty big step on the acid scale, we come to White Vinegar, a nice bottle of which is usually easy to find at the grocery store. This can be used by turning the tank on its side and possibly using something to corral the vinegar into a shallow pool on top of the mineral deposit areas and leaving it overnight. Next day, move in and gently begin working on each small 2 inch area with some sort of non-scratch materia (3M make some sponges with this sort of surface.) This may take you 4 nights for all the tank sides.

Single-edge razor blades can help but you have to develop the right touch. The corners of the blade can easily dig in to the glass and create permanent scratches that basically look as bad as the limescale did. So you have to be patient and "feel" what the blade is doing. As with the non-scratch sponge, the limescale is going to come off much more easily after a night of submersion under the white vinegar.

Another trick is to use fresh lemons or limes as one of your rubbing steps prior to a more abrasive step. By taking a quarter of one of these fruits and pressing it againt the glass, the acid of the fruit juice will begin to work on the mineral bases and the inner surface of the peel forms a non-smooth surface to rub against the limescale and work on it. By coming at the limescale with a different type of acid, you may be loosening it up differently.

Sometimes people are selling or throwing these types of tanks out precisely because they've tried and tried to clean them, with no success, but if you are patient and think of it as a "project" you can sometimes be the one to have success and of course save yourself a pile of money over a new tank. Good luck!

~~waterdrop~~ :)

The tip for using vinigar and lemons is a great one thanks alot. I'm thinking i should have taken before and after pics now. Ive managed to clean alot of the limescale from the hood with the edge of a dinner knife and a toothbrush. The tank it self looks quite scrached at the bottom of glass from another person i think. Ive been using non scratch sponges. It looks loads better already. Think im going to use the lemon or lime on the few bits left on the glass around where the tank lid sits.

It cost me £40 with a stand its a light glo model. I like projects but wish id been prepared for the condition they said they had cleaned it. but i found a dead dried up fish inside.

What do you suggest for the iside of hood where the lights are ive found it hard to clean as do not want to break electrics.

Its not a jigh pressure one just the spray end of the hose. Im using that to rinse.

Probably not an option but there are reflector inserts you can buy that press into place behind the bulb of a typical strip light. These are popular with planted tank enthusiasts. They help to focus more photons down in the tank area rather than having them scatter and go out the side glass. In your case it might improve lighting and cover up limescale all in one go. I'm sure it'd be a bit of work finding them etc. but the planted forum folks might know or searches of their section.

~~waterdrop~~

Another way if you are determined to use a razor blade is to drag the blade rather than push it. Pushing seems to make it bend in the middle and make corners dig in. Dragging leaves a better angle and doesn't bend it in the middle.

pressure washing probably ruins, stratches, and maybe even cracks glass. i was powerwashing over the weekend and ended up with a really really deep cut going down my foot.

They help to focus more photons down in the tank area rather than having them scatter and go out the side glass.

~~waterdrop~~

Hehe, first time I've seen someone say photons on this forum! You should explain how excitation works next :hyper:.

pressure washing probably ruins, stratches, and maybe even cracks glass. i was powerwashing over the weekend and ended up with a really really deep cut going down my foot.

Powerwashing is extremely dangerous! I bet that hurt like a $%&#^&%!! :X

You must be careful when powerwashing a house not to hit windows so I'm guessing glass aquarium + powerwasher = bad idea!!

Powerwashing is extremely dangerous! I bet that hurt like a $%&#^&%!! :X

You must be careful when powerwashing a house not to hit windows so I'm guessing glass aquarium + powerwasher = bad idea!!

I am not using a pressure washer just my hose pipe with a spray attachment set to fine spray.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back