Lunar's 'New' Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Is that a Bala shark I see?

(Really nice looking tank)

At this point I acquired some Congo Tetras. Started off quite small.

E729A827-162E-41FF-AA0A-F773E354D183.jpeg

So the tank had been up and running at this point for about 5 to 6 weeks.

I got some more plants and the ones I had began to grow. This photo from early evening.

2FAA61C0-EF2A-47A5-A3A7-2E419312A1CA.jpeg

So as I said at the beginning, I got this tank last August and some of this thread will be updates from the last to get up to date.

i did have a bit of a disaster after the tank had been set up for about a month.

The wife, daughter and I were away (Sat to Tues) visiting the mother in law, leaving our son at home to look after the pets. (Cats, rabbits and fish) Monday evening I get a call from my son to say that my Bala shark had died. He couldn’t find a net to get it out so it got left for my return.

Pretty disappointed at this moment but fish do die so I put it down to nothing more than nature taking its course.

However, we get home the next day and when I lifted the hood to go in to get the dead fish, it really smelt. My suspicion initially was that my son just hadn’t noticed the shark straight away so he’d been there longer than 24 hours.

I hooked him out and whilst I was doing so, another fish a Rosy Barb bobbed our from behind the Amazon Swords, also dead. I take them outside and whilst I’m trying to find a trowel to bury them, I get a call from my daughter saying there are more..

Long story short, in total, 10 dead fish removed, including my Dwarf Pleco that I’d had for over 10 years.. Pretty gutted at this point but clearly a problem so had to get it sorted.

So first thing to note was that the temperature of the tank was up to 30 from the normal 25. It was a hot weekend but I didn’t think that would have caused the mass deaths.

I tested for Ammonia which came back clear but Nitrites were high. The test kit I had managed to find showed somewhere between 1.6 and 3.3 so I drained out 70% of the water and replaced it with fresh. I tested again and it showed it had dropped to under 1. Another water change got it down to around 0.3. I also purchased some Purigen which I put in the filter and for the last couple of days Nitrites have remained at 0. I continue to monitor levels to make sure all is ok.

Temperature had dropped to 23 and rose back up to 25, then to 26 and settled there.

I never really got to the bottom of this as the water perimeters were good both before and since and I’ve had no further big loses. The odd fish here or there but nothing to worry about.

All a bit strange.

Lovely red line torpedo, love those.

Tank looks real good.

That’s strange about the fish loss, wow, something was off somewhere but looks as if it was short lived whatever it was, lowering temp and water changes seems to have stopped that.

Most reactions

trending

Back