My betta may be dying. I need help.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

whatacooldog

Reaction score
I have a sweet little half-moon female bettaI've only had around for maybe a month and a half now. Last night she got sucked into the filter intake (it didn't have a cap and I didn't notice it was defective) and she came out pretty strong once I unplugged it, bent up a bit and missing scales, fins torn a bit, but alive and still mostly swimming and just somewhat lazing on her things. I haphazardly set up a hospital tank (2.5 gal) so she could have a clean space. Treated it with prime, stress coat, and it has just a filter with her old filter cartridge, and a heater with a bit of gravel and some of her plants. Last night I did a 50% water change with some aquarium salt (this was in her 5.5 gal, I left her filter off for her safety) and I let her stay in her own tank for the night. This morning I had plans out of town with family, but I added another gallon of the water change this morning and she seemed to still be swimming the best she could.
Tonight though, she's laying down now. She's breathing and sometimes trying a little to move, but she's just on her side at the bottom. I finally moved her to the 2.5 gal I set up. I don't know if the stress or shock of moving would make it worse, or if I'm being cruel not letting her die in her own home. I just wanted to see if getting her to cleaner water or more oxygen might help or get her moving again.
Anyway, I'm scared I'm out of options. I just want to ask for any suggestions. Should I put aquarium salt in the little tank as well? Should I move her back to her big tank? Should the filter even be on? Is there anything I can do to help her feel better? Can I do anything to get her to eat (she didn't eat after getting out of the filter either- which is frightening because she really loves to eat)? Should I just be considering euthanasia at this point? If I am euthanizing her what's the best way to go about it? I've heard some people talk about clover oil. Would anyone know where to get clover oil at night? And if I can't get it, what alternatives do I have, assuming I should euthanize her?
There's a lot of dumb questions here, I'm sure. I know this is my own fault. I just figured I should make my own post since there was so many conflicting opinions that I've found while googling things.
Thanks for reading this if you did.
I reposted this from another forum.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You don't have to tell us about reposting this from another forum.

Filters should always be on to keep the water clean, aerated and circulating.

All external power filters should have a plastic screen on the intake to stop fish being drawn in. You can get round/ cylindrical sponges for some internal power filters. These sponge have a hole through the middle and fit over the intake strainer of most external filters. The sponge increases the filtration area and prevents fish being sucked onto the intake strainer.

If you don't have a filter running on the tank, try to add some aeration/ surface turbulence to keep the oxygen levels up and to mix the water. You don't need too much aeration or water movement but some is better than none. The water should move around the fish but not wash the fish all around the tank.

-------------------------
You can try feeding her once or twice a day but remove any uneaten food within a minute of offering it to her, especially if she doesn't eat straight away. Uneaten food will create ammonia that will poison the fish. She won't starve and will eat if and when she recovers.

You should do a 90% water change each day. Use half tank water from a filtered tank, and half dechlorinated tap water. Leave the fish in the tank and just drain out most of the water, then refill it.

Don't add salt.

If you need to euthanize a fish you can remove the fish from the aquarium, put it on a hard flat surface, and whack it on the head with a hard solid object. Some people wrap the fish in a tissue when they do this to stop the mess.

Clove Oil can be bought from some health food shops, chemists and supermarkets. You put the fish in a small container of tank water and add 1 drop of clove oil. Gently stir the oil into the water and wait about 30 seconds. Add another drop and stir it up. Continue adding 1 drop at a time until the fish stops breathing. The fish is not dead but is unconscious. Then put the container of water (with the fish) into the freezer and leave it to freeze solid. Bury the frozen iceblock with fish, in the garden.

Make sure the water is clean and free of ammonia and nitrite. Add some aeration. Give her a couple of days and see if she improves. If she does not improve after 2 days, or she gets noticeably worse, then euthanize her.

In the States you can buy Clove oil in the grocery store and anywhere they sale aromatherapy. I agree with Colin in everything but the salt. Aquarium salt improves gill function so if she is having difficulty breathing, it may make her more comfortable. It also provides necessary electrolytes which she needs right now. I hope she pulls out of it. Oh, quit moving her also. Good luck!

An update: she didn't make it through the night. Mipha passed away. I'll be holding off on filters and stuff for a while I think.

Thank you two for your time and suggestions. Even though it didn't work out, y'all had some good info. If and whenever I find another fish I want to care for, they're going to be a lot better off than she was. Thank you.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry.
It's okay. My mistakes aside she had a relatively happy time with me in her tank. I'd rather her have had that than stayed in her cup at the store. She deserved better, but she didn't die unloved I don't think.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back