Just Planted!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I got some dwarf grass from the LFS in those weird gel packs. After cleaning it I broke it into much smaller clumps, stuck some of those weird flourish stones deep into the gravel, and popped the clumps within six inches of each grass clump. My cories seem VERY interest in these plants... hopefully they don't uproot them :D

lol, good luck! dwarf hairgrass? I tried that once and I get horrible luck every time, so I do DBT lol Good luck! (when dwarf hairgrass fully carpets its so pretty)

Dwarf  hairgrass is a nice plant that is stunning when covering the substrate. Though I must mention, most hairgrass can be tricky to keep healthy and growing due to the fact they are quite demanding plants.

Usually this mean you will need at least good lights, fertilisers and also Co2 is the norm for growing these plants.

I have, in the past,  had demanding plants without co2 but with high lights and EI dosing, this does work to a degree but very slow growing but found with the addition of co2, the growth is much different and faster.

Sorry if that's not exactly what you want to read but there have been exceptions and some folks have just somehow have green thumbs and can grow anything in their tanks with minimal effort......am not jealous of those folks at all.... :lol:

BettaBettas said:
lol, good luck! dwarf hairgrass? I tried that once and I get horrible luck every time, so I do DBT lol Good luck! (when dwarf hairgrass fully carpets its so pretty)
DBT?

Dwarf hair grass requires co2 or excel. I had a whole bunch that I was farming in an emersed setup I made. I started with one of those clumps you had and now I have like shoe boxes full lmao

Also I think S. repens is a great carpet. Super easy, just need root tabs. I have that in my tank.

Pearl weed is also so easy to grow.

I tried dwarf hairgrass but in addition the the cory's, the platies and swordtails pecking at it uprooted it as fast as I could replant it! I finally gave up although a few strands remain.

I think it will grow w/o CO2 or evil Excel, but I think it grows naturally in shallow water so it likes bright light - success may depend on light intensity, duration and tank depth. GOOD LUCK

I had dwarf hairgrass in my tank when it was fully planted. It took off, did super well with only 2 watts/gallon (I got some desk lamps and bulbs and clamped them to the tank, nothing fancy at all), nothing else. My stocking was a little high at the time so maybe that had something to do with it. It took over most of the foreground of the tank within a few months. Then I ripped out all of the plants, but a few clumps of hairgrass remained. I only turned on the lights occasionally and it is still alive almost a year later, but it obviously isn't thriving. 

So, the point of my rambling is that for dwarf hairgrass to thrive and take off you might a bit of a higher tech set up (and some luck), but it will probably survive even in a low tech set up. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back