Interested in SW...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I’ve actually had it for over 1.5 years, (please don’t get mad at me, I didn’t know it’s proper care until I came here. I honestly should have given it away when I first got it. :()

It will be tough, because I'm attached to her. :/
I understand. I’m down to one zebra danio and should take him to my lfs but he seems content with the other community fish.

Sand is still moist, and expiration date isn’t for another year, so the bacteria should still be alive.
The beneficial bacteria are aerobic (requires oxygen). If the bag of sand is sealed up and air tight, there won't be sufficient oxygen in it to keep the bacteria alive. In addition to that, with a source of ammonia, the bacteria will eventually go dormant and possibly die.

Get yourself 2 buckets with lids. You will always have a use for the second bucket.

I would just wash the filter and filter media out under tap water. Then put it in the aquarium. There is no need to dry it out because the salt water will kill the freshwater bacteria.

I had an idea for your shopping list. A bigger net!
I have been telling him that for a while. Not just one net though, 2 decent sized nets (4-6 inch and a 8-12 inch net) makes life a lot easier :)
I swear I’ll get a 4-6 inch net at PetCo today. :whistle:

The beneficial bacteria are aerobic (requires oxygen). If the bag of sand is sealed up and air tight, there won't be sufficient oxygen in it to keep the bacteria alive. In addition to that, with a source of ammonia, the bacteria will eventually go dormant and possibly die.

Get yourself 2 buckets with lids. You will always have a use for the second bucket.

I would just wash the filter and filter media out under tap water. Then put it in the aquarium. There is no need to dry it out because the salt water will kill the freshwater bacteria.
Are you sure? All reviews on Amazon show that it almost completely cycled their tank and that the beneficial bacteria was indeed still alive.

Is there any way to test if it is still alive, for the future?

Ok, I’ll go ahead and wash everything.

——

Got the powerhead, heater, hydrometer, and tank completely cleaned.

All I need now to get it setup, is salt and live rock. (I’m going to call my LFS this morning, asking how much live rock is)

Not sure how much I should get though... :huh:

Picked up a giant bucket of salt at PetCo. And no, they didn’t have any nets. :rolleyes:

The salt was $54.99. You heard me right, $60 after tax. I was not expecting that, that is ridiculous.

On Amazon, the 50lb bucket is only $39.99. This one was $20+ more than the one on Amazon. Kind of mad right now. ?

WHAT KIND OF PET STORE DOESN’T HAVE A NET??? Oh that is very disappointing.... would it be worth returning it and ordering it on Amazon and just having to wait a bit longer to set up the tank?

The salt was $54.99. You heard me right, $60 after tax. I was not expecting that, that is ridiculous.
That's one of the reasons I used natural sea water. Obviously not something you can do because of where you live, but for me, it was a no brainer. Either spend $100 a month buying artificial marine salt, or spend $10 on fuel and drive to the beach to collect a few hundred litres of sea water.

I think OliveFish's idea of returning it and getting the cheaper one delivered is good. If the shop asks why you are returning it, just say your mum or dad bought some from another shop too and you only need one lot currently.

WHAT KIND OF PET STORE DOESN’T HAVE A NET??? Oh that is very disappointing.... would it be worth returning it and ordering it on Amazon and just having to wait a bit longer to set up the tank?
Well, they had a net, but it was only a 2 inch or an 8 inch, and I didn't want to get that big of a net.

That's one of the reasons I used natural sea water. Obviously not something you can do because of where you live, but for me, it was a no brainer. Either spend $100 a month buying artificial marine salt, or spend $10 on fuel and drive to the beach to collect a few hundred litres of sea water.

I think OliveFish's idea of returning it and getting the cheaper one delivered is good. If the shop asks why you are returning it, just say your mum or dad bought some from another shop too and you only need one lot currently.
Defiantly will return, I hate wasting money. I will hopefully be able to go tonight and return it. Will have to wait for longer until I can get the tank setup, but it will be worth that $20...

Ok... I read the fuplie clickbait incorrectly.

It says $39.99, but it’s for a fuplie repeat delivery, which means I have to fuplie order it twice before I get the 34% discount. :rolleyes:

If I ordered off of Chewy.com, I would save $4, which wouldn’t be worth it. I’ll just keep it, but I’m fuplied off by that fuplie clickbait.

—-

Does that mean I can setup the tank now?

If you are keeping the salt, you may as well set it up now.

Remember to make the salt water up and get the salinity correct before adding it to the tank. Add slightly less salt than you think you need and measure the salt level after it has been mixing for an hour. You can add more salt to raise the salt level, but you can't remove salt once it's there unless you remove water and replace it with fresh water.

I would have bought the 8 inch net :)

If you are keeping the salt, you may as well set it up now.

Remember to make the salt water up and get the salinity correct before adding it to the tank. Add slightly less salt than you think you need and measure the salt level after it has been mixing for an hour. You can add more salt to raise the salt level, but you can't remove salt once it's there unless you remove water and replace it with fresh water.

I would have bought the 8 inch net :)
Do I need to wait to get the live rock before setting it up? Or can I go ahead and set it up now?

Don't get live rock until the salt water is in the tank. If the live rock dries out, the bacteria on and in it will die.

Sorry for hijacking your thread PK.

Questions: Is it true that you can make live rock out of beach sand and concrete? How do you seed them?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back