Have they given me a female? Please help me sex my Endler

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

AbbyLou94

Reaction score
I have an established planted tank with all male Endlers, I bought some more fish today from the same place as before and was reassured they are all males as they donā€™t keep females. I was a bit confused because the first time I bought the fish the guy spent ages fishing out only males but now they donā€™t keep females ?
One of the fish are significantly larger than the others, has almost no markings and a different shaped tail. Ive also noticed the others follow it around but maybe thatā€™s because itā€™s the largest so itā€™s the alpha male? Or is it a female? Iā€™ve googled it but it doesnā€™t look like a female for certain but I hate to think Iā€™ve got 1 female among all those males because sheā€™d be miserable.

Iā€™ve attached a pic, please let me know what you think

Attachments

• 18D3F240-2411-471A-A28D-14AB541269DB.jpeg
    18D3F240-2411-471A-A28D-14AB541269DB.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 12F64001-4E71-49D4-9F5D-CCA3661F225C.jpeg
    12F64001-4E71-49D4-9F5D-CCA3661F225C.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 79
They're all male chili endlers. Not all males will have a nice looking short doublesword. That's quite normal. Sometimes you'll even see a male with a closed colored tail instead of a short doublesword.
And yes, not all males will reach the same size. Also quite normal. With endlers (in this case endler hybrids) the size doesn't say anything about dominance. But the colors will say something about the dominance. The more intense the coloration and markings, the more dominant the male.

Great thank you! Theyā€™re been together in the tank for 8 hours now and they still follow him around but I havenā€™t seen any nipping or signs of aggression. Do you think after a while this will stop? Is it likely to be distressing him?

Great thank you! Theyā€™re been together in the tank for 8 hours now and they still follow him around but I havenā€™t seen any nipping or signs of aggression. Do you think after a while this will stop? Is it likely to be distressing him?
It's a late male. And males tend to see late males as being females for a while. Give it some time. It will mostly pass. At some point he knows he's a male as well and he'll get the same behavior.

You sex them the same way you sex mollies, guppies and platies. Look at the anal (bottom) fin. Males have a long thin anal fin called a gonopodium. Females have a fan or triangle shaped anal fin.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back