The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

For a single oscar, Ive heard 55g is a bare minimum. But a 75g should be considered when caring for these fish

So, you think a single fish needs 75 gallons?
As a minimum I would not put a 12 inch cichlid in anything less than that. Usually I'd say minimum 120 but for a fish as common as an Oscar a 75 is an okay outcome.

Surely you can see the logic in this?

Wills

75g should be good because it allows space for it to turn around. In general, Oscar’s should be kept with no other fish except things like dithers, which is not an option unless you want a rigorous wc schedule and a crowded tank.

We're back to the philosophical differences. I wouldn't put an Oscar alone in my 120 gallon. To me, that's no fun to watch - a large predator pacing. My view is not one the monster fishkeeper group would appreciate, which is fine, since they see my favourite fish as snacks for their pets.

A lot of aquarists don't see it that way. I disagree with them. When people offer advice we disagree with, I think it's best to offer reasons why rather than to challenge in a way most readers are not going to understand. It undermines the person posting a valuable response, and it doesn't tell anyone why you say what you do.

In my opinion, the minimum size tank for an adult Oscar cichlid is 4 foot long x 2 foot wide x 18 inches high, and bigger is preferable.
eg: 4x2x2ft
6x2x2ft

Here's the thing about Oscars. They are just plain cool and awesome and if you can have a big tank for three of them you will really have a rewarding fish keeping experience. They're smart , they're fun and they will become a pet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back