Feeding time in the Big Cichlid Community: Oscar, Vieja's, Nicaraguan, Pearl

omnaturestudio

New Member
Joined
May 14, 2026
Messages
19
Reaction score
12
Points
3
Location
UK
Oscar - Astronotus ocellatus: Chomper
Redhead Cichlid - Vieja Melanura: Peaches
White Cichlid - Vieja Argentea: Geralt
Macaw, or Nicaraguan Cichlid - Hypsophrys nicaraguensis: Rambo
Pearl Cichlid - Geophagus brasiliensis: Stevo
A quick video from some months ago showing some of the action at feeding time. These fish hadn't long been added to this tank, and to begin with they were easily startled, where they ended up grazing themselves; which you may have noticed. The tank was actually a downgrade from what they were in before (house move), and so there were some fierce territorial disputes, mostly involving the Pearl cichlid and The Vieja Argentea. Since filming they have healed up nicely, and are not all in the same tank ...Although for the future, I do plan to setup a massive aquarium for them. So subscribe if you would like to see future updates on these guys (I have a couple of videos almost ready) as well as aquascaping, fish breeding and more!
 
I love Oscars ! The only fish that can actually become a pet . Maybe someday my ship will come in and I’ll get a big aquarium and some Oscars . Sure would be fun to get some juvenile Oscars and watch them grow up .
 
They are well worth it, I have a pair of a. crassipinnis and they are an absolute joy. I got them as babies and they were literally just big eye balls with fins ☺️
 
I love Oscars ! The only fish that can actually become a pet . Maybe someday my ship will come in and I’ll get a big aquarium and some Oscars . Sure would be fun to get some juvenile Oscars and watch them grow up .
I've had him since he was a couple of inches, and it has been amazing. I have to disagree about being the only one that can become a pet though! My male Macaw is very personable too, he does a real 'Shimmy' when he sees me holding food outside the tank, and I'm sure Peaches (The Vieja Melanura) is the smartest out of the bunch!.. Longer video primarily focussed on her will be uploaded tomorrow, just need to re-do my voice-over as my first attempt, upon listening with headphones, wasn't good enough.
 
My eels are super adorable too...as is the parrot fish. Many fish have lovable personalities.
 
I gotta say my chcolate cichild are much more polite. It is an interesting difference in behavior as the chocolate prefer surface food (insects) and spend less time forging the bottom and more time waiting for insects to land on the water.
 
Oscar - Astronotus ocellatus: Chomper
Redhead Cichlid - Vieja Melanura: Peaches
White Cichlid - Vieja Argentea: Geralt
Macaw, or Nicaraguan Cichlid - Hypsophrys nicaraguensis: Rambo
Pearl Cichlid - Geophagus brasiliensis: Stevo
A quick video from some months ago showing some of the action at feeding time. These fish hadn't long been added to this tank, and to begin with they were easily startled, where they ended up grazing themselves; which you may have noticed. The tank was actually a downgrade from what they were in before (house move), and so there were some fierce territorial disputes, mostly involving the Pearl cichlid and The Vieja Argentea. Since filming they have healed up nicely, and are not all in the same tank ...Although for the future, I do plan to setup a massive aquarium for them. So subscribe if you would like to see future updates on these guys (I have a couple of videos almost ready) as well as aquascaping, fish breeding and more!

Great video, and that Velvet Oscar is stunning! When I was a kid, I had a 4-foot tank with a velvet oscar whose sole purpose in life was to rearrange the rockwork and wood every night; it was always a surprise in the morning to see what he had done.
 
I gotta say my chcolate cichild are much more polite. It is an interesting difference in behavior as the chocolate prefer surface food (insects) and spend less time forging the bottom and more time waiting for insects to land on the water.
Oo I might have to find myself a chocolate cichlid in the future, that sounds like some interesting behaviour.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top