I know this can change over time, but what fish that you have, seem to draw you in the most???

Magnum Man35 149

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,647
Reaction score
6,900
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
it’s kind of hard for me to answer, as I have over a dozen tanks, and I like to watch fish…

but over the long run, it seems the active bigger fish are “easier” to watch, fish like the Denison barbs, when they are dancing, or the silver dollars ( I have 5 different varieties interacting together right now ), and currently plan to stock the 250 gallon tank with them…

but my new to me Jewels ( Hemichromis exsul )


being slightly smaller, and with the cichlid “lifestyle” seem to draw me in the most right now, while I love my schooling Cardinals, they just don’t seem to live as interesting lifestyle as a cichlid, or become as personable… I find myself hunting for the few baby granti, that I added to that tank recently… when I had Oscar’s 30 years ago, they were like having puppies in a tank, who couldn’t just watch them???

which of your fish do you find yourself drawn most to, right now???
IMG_9895.webp


1786880384739.webp
 
Last edited:
Up until this spring, Koi were right there. But…..atm, Diamond Tetras, Congo Tetras, and yes, my large shoal of Cardinals are the ones I’m most drawn to. The nice thing about a fish room with a swivel chair and recliner in the middle is one can change which one from day to day. I often focus on a different tank like last night. It was the yellow phantom tets, green fire tets, and red cherry tets tank that got most of my attention. Sorry my answer is rather broad, but that’s my story and I’m stick’n to it. :wub:
Btw Magnum Man, that is a stunning H. exsul fish you have.😍
 
I enjoy all of my fish, as they are all peaceful and don't have the stress of other fish being harassed, etc.
However, to answer your question, the fish that drew me in the most is the pufferfish. I've had a couple of Marine puffers in the past. Unfortunately, when I was young and lacked the knowledge, I did exactly what many others have done...buy with your heart and not common sense. The cute face and the way they act just like a lost puppy draws you right in; it's only after a few months you actually realise your tank is way too small to accommodate this cute little fish that has now stolen your heart and is now part of the family...so out goes your current tank, sofa and TV unit to make way for a monster tank to house the cute little fish that drew you in :p :fish:
 
I have two Sumbu dwarf Altolamprologus compressiceps in my Lake Tanganyikan tank. They are insular dwarfs found in nature and were not line bred to be small. They are 1.5 inches in length. They stalk potential food like a lion. They remain as still as a statue and then suddenly pounce.
IMG_3329.webp
IMG_2657.webp
 
I go through phases with my fish, and have for many years. The anchor fish for me are West and Central African killifish and dwarf Cichlids. Killies because they're so hands on, and demanding. Dwarf Cichlids for their own complexity and behaviour. West and Central African because I found a second hand book 40 years ago, bought it out of curiosity and discovered I'd bought into a quest for hard to find fish. Both groups are really pretty.

I also like taking with the people who keep them.

I also focus on corydoras group fish sometimes, and tetras.

I was into Anabantoids/gouramis, and still like them. I used to keep and breed a lot of South American Cichlids, and had livebearers when my water was right for them. It isn't now. Barbs had their day, and I still have a few.

But at this point, I'm still into killies and African dwarfs after 35 years, so they're my fish. And If I had to choose, killies would win. They're beautiful fish you have to work with. I like working on projects.
 
Having only had two times that I have kept tropical fish, albeit for a number of years each time, I have to say that cichlids do it for me. I have been looking at dwarf species at the moment. Is anyone aware of dwarf cichlids that can live in harder water?? I am looking at the Lake Malawi fish again and probably going to go with the smaller, more peaceable ones that I can find when I eventually manage to throw out 2 cabinets and set up hopefully at least a 5 foot tank in my lounge.

I am / have been getting variable tap water readings since I joined this site. The first reading was 8 and my most recent readings have been 5 and 4. The water where I live has 3 different places it comes from over time, which is why it could be difficult to find a balance here.

I could not afford to get an RO system and keep purchasing all of the different things it would take to keep them going properly, so that's out for me I'm afraid.
 
My all time fav fish are loaches! I have sewellia lineolata, a kind of hillstream. But I miss my botias most from clowns to sidthimunki! So active & interesting. & pangios, so called "kuhli" loaches. Striped p. semicincta were very wonderful, tame & people interactive. P. oblonga (a black "kuhli") were less so.

& I also miss small to midsize cichlids. Apistos to acaras with "kribensis". I still love discus, but not sure I want to deal with their needs again.
 
Ian Fuller, in case the autocorrect above isn't fixed before the edit time limit is out
 
Ian Fuller, in case the autocorrect above isn't fixed before the edit time limit is out
Thank you CassCats. I think I must have had another brain phart ! The half a brain cell I have left is doing than more and more lately. 😜🤪🤪🤪 I live just down the road from him, and see him often at my LFS that is why I wondered.
 
If anyone wants to know anything corydoras, he's the guy to learn from!
 
I like fish that interact with you. Right now I have angels who I find are very personable fish, they get in your way, they watch what you do, and overall they seem interested in what goes on about them, they are not hiders. I was a child when my father kept Oscars and I have a soft spot for those for the same reason, feeding time was the best and having fish swim right up to you is quite nice rather than have them hide in the corners of the tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top