unusual fish you have had good luck keeping???

Magnum Man37 151

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,658
Reaction score
6,918
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
they don’t have to breed for you, just curious of some of the not seen everyday in the hobby fish, that have worked out well for you… sometimes it finding just the right set up, or tank mates, sometimes they are just easy to care for, but for some reason just aren’t seen in the hobby often…

one of my most unusual, and long lived fish, are my blood cap tetras ( Bathyaethiops breuseghemi ) they are an African tetra, that have. been easy to care for, are long lived ( mine have been here for at least 3 years, with no losses from the original group )

I’m optimistic about the spot tail algae eaters (
Crossocheilus reticulatus ) mine are babies yet, but seem to be a great fish, as playful, and curious as a panda garra, and are eating algae as good as any of the common algae eaters…

how about you???
 
L173, very rare. I have a wild caught breeding group which is even more rare.

IMG_0565.webp


IMG_0569.webp


A highly variable fish. Ideally they have the zig zag stripes and golden eyes. They are difficult to ID when younger and smaller and early one thought to be a wavy lined zebra. But they grow much larger and zebras have more black eyes often with a bit of blue color around the pupil. They take clearely longer to reach maturity (and breeding) than zebras. 173 is a slower grower than zebras of L236 which is now a part of the H. seideli complex. 236 breeds much sooner than either zebra or 173 and 236 if faster to breed than either. 236 mostly also have the goeld eyes but some do not.

I have kept and had breed all 3 species. Today, as a result of my downsing, the only Hypancisrtrus group I still have are the173. I should mention O have also kept and worked with the L173b which I do not believe are true 173. My 173b came from Aquarium Glaser and I got them before I had the opportunity to get the true WC 173. I initially was sent the group from the person who owned them to try to get them spawning. I did not own the group at that time but the deal was, if they spawned, the owner and I would split the offspring.

I was successful after some advice about my zebra group from Ingo Seidel and Dale Ernst at the 2016 semi-annual Catfish Convention outside of Washington DC in Herndon, VA. I came home from the event with a container of the Repashy Spawn & Grow. I ultimately bought the group as well as all of the first spawn.

At the start of my adeventures with the 173 I posted this first thread about it on Planetcatfish here if anybody is interested https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42699

Here is a the part of the vid shot by Rachel O'Leary of the 173 fry when she came here for a visit. It is not hosted on Youtube. Rachel still has the full visit vid on her site.
https://www.smugmug.com/app/library?mediaType=Video&imageKey=9zhgqpd
 

Most reactions

Back
Top