Fish emergency!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LatexRevolver

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So, I have a 60 gal freshwater tank with guppys, platy's, swordtails and two Rainbows. About a month ago, one of my guppy girls started getting fat, assumed she was pregnant because we do have males in the tank as well. Recently though, she's started getting... blocky? We figured she was close to giving birth but then when I got home from work today, she looks way worse swelling wise. She doesn't seem to be pineconing though and is swimming around just fine, eating, isn't lethargic or anything and her poop looks fine
bloat.jpg
IMG_20180124_160610511.jpg
IMG_20180124_160839221.jpg
IMG_20180124_160841502.jpg
IMG_20180124_160850121.jpg
. None of the other fish are having issues either so I'm not sure what's going on.

Water Parameters:

Temp: 82 F
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: >5

Actually, I have never seen a guppy this fat before giving birth. They should not get blocky, just round. Pineconing is definitely not a sign of giving birth either. My first thought would be dropsy. Though dropsy is not contagious, there is still an underlying cause for it if that's bacterial infections or parasitic infections. I would quarantine the fish to prevent any other fish from getting any symptoms. By the time the disorder reaches the point of causing dropsy, it can often be fatal and at the very least the fish is ill and requires immediate quarantine and treatment.

My confusion is because she doesn't seem to be pineconing at all. Just getting fat and awkwardly shaped. I'll move her to quarantine but I'm still trying to figure out how this happened. Everyone else seems happy and fine, and she's not showing symptoms of anything else. What should I be treating her with?

Never use medicines unless you really have to. All you need to do is change plenty of water. About 25 percent daily for a week just to make sure there is no bacteria that can harm the other fish. Watch the fish carefully to make sure they have no symptoms of sickness. The block shape is very odd though, I have not seen it before.

Well, I don't know what's going on. My parameters are fine, everyone was acting okay, and I came home to a green lantern, a white platy and my 2.5 pleco dead.

At this point, I have
1 Madagascar Rainbow
1 Bosemani Rainbow
3 fancy guppy girls(incl the odd one)
2 fancy guppy males
1 swordtail male
2 sword tail females
1 lyretail platy male
1 sunburst platy female
1 danio
1 endler male
2 endler females
1 black molly male
1 .5 inch pleco

My parameters are the same, though I'm getting ready to do a water change because of the sudden death, but no one has been acting weird and I dont' know what to do. I'm using stress coat when I change the water out, it says I don't need to use water conditioner, but I do anyway just in case. I did have a round of ich 2 months ago but that's been treated and cycled out and there's no white spots anywhere.

Something is very wrong with that fish. A guppy should never look like that when about to drop fry. Her belly is very distended and is likely full of fluid. I can't say much other than that. I'd try an epsom salt bath to draw out the extra fluid.

Not sure why the pleco died. What do you usually feed them? W/o proper foods for bottom feeders a pleco will easily starve to death.

I'm using stress coat
This stuff is expensive rubbish basically, How much are you using?

Something is very wrong with that fish. A guppy should never look like that when about to drop fry. Her belly is very distended and is likely full of fluid. I can't say much other than that. I'd try an epsom salt bath to draw out the extra fluid.

I'll try a salt bath, see if it helps her.

Not sure why the pleco died. What do you usually feed them? W/o proper foods for bottom feeders a pleco will easily starve to death.

My tropicals get Omega 1 tropical flakes once a day, the pleco's get Omega 1 algae wafers every other day, and then on Sundays I give frozen algae/seaweed and frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp

This stuff is expensive rubbish basically, How much are you using?

I cut the directions on the bottle in half, since I use the water conditioner as well.

So, I have a 60 gal freshwater tank with guppys, platy's, swordtails and two Rainbows. About a month ago, one of my guppy girls started getting fat, assumed she was pregnant because we do have males in the tank as well. Recently though, she's started getting... blocky? We figured she was close to giving birth but then when I got home from work today, she looks way worse swelling wise. She doesn't seem to be pineconing though and is swimming around just fine, eating, isn't lethargic or anything and her poop looks fineView attachment 86791 View attachment 86792 View attachment 86793 View attachment 86794 View attachment 86795 . None of the other fish are having issues either so I'm not sure what's going on.

Water Parameters:

Temp: 82 F
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: >5

Did your guppy make it? I had a sick guppy that looked exactly like yours did right up to the day before it died. In the beginning it did not pinecone but eventually it did. I just assumed it was dropsy.

Hope you figured it out. I thought mine was about to give birth. It never dawned on me she was actually sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The female guppy is not normal, not even for a pregnant one that is about to give birth. She could have worms in addition to being pregnant, or maybe her swim bladder is being distended by the babies in her, but she should not look like that.

Do not add medication unless you know what the problem is, it can also cause problems especially to pregnant fish. And she is eating and swimming about so that is a good sign.

If you have a small tank put her in it and keep her away from the others. Use a net to bring her to the surface then use a small container to scoop her out. If you lift her out of water she could have problems especially if she is close to giving birth.
Have some floating plants in the tank and monitor her.

-----------------------
re: feeding. You should feed more variety, add the frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp every couple of days or even every day. Feed flake first, then 15 minutes later give them some brineshrimp. The next day flake then bloodworms. If you get some frozen raw prawn, you can defrost one, remove the shell and use a pr of scissors to cut it up into little bits and offer a few bits at a time. Do this a couple of times a week.
If you find aphids on the flowers in the garden, tap them into a bucket and feed them to the fish. Mosquito larvae and adult mozzies as long as they are free of bug spray, are also good food.

All suckermouth catfish need driftwood in their tank. They eat it and the roughage heaps feed the beneficial bacteria in their gut and helps keep them healthy. If you have suckermouth catfish (bristlenose, plecostomus, whiptail, twigs, algae eaters of any sort), make sure you have a piece of driftwood in the tank.
They should also get plant matter each day or every couple of days, depending on how much algae is in the tank. No algae then feed plant matter every day. Lots of algae then feed plant matter every few days. Good food to try include thin slices or cubes of pumpkin, zucchini & cucumber, apple is sometimes eaten too. Wash well and if possible peel them. Just make sure they are free of chemicals. Put the piece of food in the tank and remove it after an hour or so. You can leave it in the tank over night if you like but most fish will respond to it within minutes of going into the tank.

This is a list of vegetables and fruit that are popular with most plecs.

Zucchini/Courgette
Cucumber
Peas (deshelled)
Sweet Potato
Green Beans
Melon/Melon rind

Aubergine/Egg plant
Avocado
Broad Beans
Broccoli/Stalk
Butternut Squash+ other squash
Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
Cauliflower/Stalk
Carrot
Coconut
Grapes
Kale/Collard Greens
Kiwi Fruit
Lettuce
Lima Beans
Mango
Mushroom (common plecs and goldspots love mushroom)let it float,they will reach it.
Papaya
Potato
Pumpkin
Spinach
Sprouts
Swede
Tomato
Yam

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back