Gourami mystery illness

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my dwarf gourami, and I need some help figuring out what's wrong with her.
About 2 weeks ago I noticed that one of her eyes was bulging out. I noticed this towards the evening so I let her be overnight and the next morning I saw that her one side, opposite of the bulging eye was now swollen too. I checked for pineconing and there was none, so I started giving her epsom salt baths. They didn't really seem to do much though, and she starting to become lethargic so on January 1st I decided to move her to a 5g hospital tank with some aquarium salt.
The next morning the swelling on her eye had gone down considerably (it looked like it was about to burst the day before), and the swelling on her abdomen had gone down a little too. She even became more active again. I decided that since there was improvement I would leave her in the salt for a bit and see what happens, but really nothing happened at all. She didn't get better, but she didn't get worse either.
So on January 7th I started her on Seachem Kanaplex which I happened to have on hand. I also started the epsom salt baths again, doing 1 per day as I didn't want to stress her out too much. I could see she felt better after the baths, as she would always become more active afterwards, but there really was no visible change.
I gave her the last dose of Kanaplex yesterday afternoon. I decided I'm going to start giving her 2 epsom salt baths per day to see if that helps, as it does seem to make her feel better. But other than that, I'm lost now. It seems we're at a complete standstill, where she's not improving but not getting worse either. She's not really eating much at the moment, maybe one or two pellets here and there. But she's still quite active, swimming around her tank. Her right eye is still out, it has not improved since the swelling went down originally. Her left eye is fine. But her left side is swollen, and what's weird is it's not round swollen, it almost has a kind of point to it. It's hard to describe and I don't know how well the photos show it. But there still is no pineconing at all.
I should mention that she did have an incident a few months ago where she got stuck in an aquarium ornament. She seemed to recover well from that though, so I don't know if the two are related.
Anyway, as I said, I'm lost. I don't know how to help her, or even exactly what's wrong at this point. I know this is a really long post, but if anyone has any insight or new suggestions on how I can help her, I would really appreciate it.

20240112_123355.jpg
20240112_123433.jpg

A

Infectious spleen and kidney necrosis caused by an Iridovirus (Dwarf Gourami Disease)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back