Desktop Vs Netbook.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BigIan

Big and BAD!
Reaction score
I`ve started uni this week And i`m looking to purchase a laptop to do the obvious with. The guy in PC world told me that if i wanted to start multi tasking the maching would really slow down and lag.

However the model netbook i`ve been looking at has almost exactlly the same spec as my desk top, yet for running MS word and excel and maybe a web page open my desk top works ok. so would the net book work just aswell as my desk top?

Do you have a link to the netbook and it's specs? Netbooks by and large are fine for general websurfing and light work, I would not use one if I intended to do a Uni course - use either a laptop or a desktop. I'm shocked but for once the guy the PC world was talking sense.

linkage

As i said it seems to have exactly the same specs as my desk top. and my desk top does the work i want nicely.

well if all you're doing is creating a few Word files and surfing the web then it may well suffice. However, and if it is exactly the same as your pc, you won't be able to have that many apps or windows open without it slowing down considerably. You also need to be aware that it won't have a cd-rom drive(which you may well be aware of) so you'll either need to shift work around via the network, use an external cd-rom or a usb stick.
If nothing else though, I would at least add as much RAM as it'll take.

99% of netbooks are so hideously slow it isn't even funny. They are only useful for browsing the web, that is all. Also be aware Windows 7 Start is extremely cut down, and that 1.6ghz processor won't be much help, you'll be waiting a long time for the computer to do basic tasks.

I`ve had it for a week or so now and its done every thing i have asked of it, so can`t complain.

then again maybe i`m just used to pants computers.

I don't like netbooks very much, too small. I prefer at least a 15 inch laptop. Or a desktop for gaming.

linkage

As i said it seems to have exactly the same specs as my desk top. and my desk top does the work i want nicely.

as a "rule of thumb" Atom processors are 50% slower than the same speed (ghz) Pentium M processor. indeed they are what the say, NETBOOKS. for browsing, and using, the web. to be fair they don't even try to suggest they are a laptop/desktop, replacement.

four months ago just
replaced my old lap top
which was a Fujitsu siemens
really good laptop when i got it
in 2006 but my new one is a lot better
but its only a bit flimsy compared
to my old one i got my self a acer aspire :good:
i dont think it will be able to take the same
punishment as my old one :lol:

four months ago just
replaced my old lap top

interesting you should say about flimsy. we have had a DELL xpx 1210 for 3 years. i was shocked to see how flimsy the DELL inspiron was, by comparison. though my Toshiba Satellite is, marginally, better. they are still horribly shoddy. clearly, despite their cost, designed for a two or three year life.

four months ago just
replaced my old lap top

interesting you should say about flimsy. we have had a DELL xpx 1210 for 3 years. i was shocked to see how flimsy the DELL inspiron was, by comparison. though my Toshiba Satellite is, marginally, better. they are still horribly shoddy. clearly, despite their cost, designed for a two or three year life.
yeah my old fujie was built like a tank
it had been drop skidded along the floor
sat on stood on tea and coffee and beer spilt
on it even got left on the back seat on the car on
the hottest days in a century and also survived a
lighting strike on the building next door witch
blew all the sockets off the walls :lol:

four months ago just
replaced my old lap top

Get a Mac. They are built to last FOREVER.

four months ago just
replaced my old lap top

even looked at them i don't
know what it is but all modern day
laptops just seem so fragile compared
to the old ones like it feels if you open
it to quickly the tops going to snap off :lol:

four months ago just
replaced my old lap top

not any more bud. they are as dodgy as PC laptops. no surprise really. after all MAC's are no more than PC's with a different OS. basic units are indistinguishable from each other. and dual core PC's run the Mac os fine. indeed once loaded, the PC becomes a Mac.

time was, what you say was true. but then............ PC laptops were built like that too, then.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back