Exhibit 'c' - 30 Litre Optiwhite

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SuperColey1

Planted Section
Reaction score
Technical Specs:
30 litre Opti-white aquarium (L 40cm, H 30cm, D 30cm)
Resun CY-20 external cannister filter
50W heater
TMC clip on LED light (8 hours per day)

Fertilisation 0.5ml Kontemplatpro daily
Plants: Fissidens Fontanus, Echinodorus tenellus, Blyxa Japonica, Mayaca Fluviatilis.
Livestock: Bumblebee shrimp (Hummel/Breviata)
Substrate is inert pool filter silica sand

I have been rambling quite a lot on various forums about how the aquascaping hobby was getting a little stagnant. Creativity being limited to small changes within the same theme and that many people were just re-cycling old ideas. I have also said for a few years that rather than being works of Art that the 'top' aquascapes these days were no more than outstanding feats of technical ability that whilst being incredible achievements were more akin to model railway scenery than art.

It has been getting to the stage where people are trying to replicate an image to the minutest detail with no heart and soul to the aquascape itself. They are dictations. They are so 'perfect' that you as the viewer are left with no possibilty of a personal interaction with the aquascape. By that I mean it is what it is. You the viewer accept that. What I like about art is it leaves room for the viewer to have an opinion. To see different things from others and so I started talking about a 'modern Art' style of aquascaping. I am implementing mathematics, geometry and symmetry which goes against most of the 'unspoken' rules that many insist upon in aquascaping.

With this series of scapes I have an idea of what each represents to me however it leaves plenty of room for you the viewer to decide what it means to you. What it is representing to you. So let my madness begin with Exhibit C. The names of these aquascapes are intentionally non descriptive. I don't want to even suggest with a name what I see when I look at the aquascape.

The first picture below was originally drawn up nearly a year ago in September 2011. I then drew it up in MS Paint and decided to do it.

DSCF2640.JPG

ExchibitC.JPG

I am using 'Apoxie Sculpt' to make my cones which is an air-dry clay that is safe for use in the aquarium after it has cured. This comes in 2 parts and is mixed by hand 1:1.

I then got out my calculator, compass and some card and made the 'moulds' for the clay to go in. The inside of the mould is covered in sellotape otherwise the clay will take the print from the card into it and that will be permanent/ The tape stops this happening.

DSCF3146.JPG

DSCF3147.JPG

DSCF3148.JPG

DSCF3152.JPG

DSCF3153.JPG

DSCF3158.JPG

DSCF3159.JPG

DSCF3161.JPG

DSCF3162.JPG

DSCF3163.JPG

DSCF3164.JPG

DSCF3165.JPG

DSCF3166.JPG

DSCF3167.JPG

DSCF3168.JPG

I had originally planned to carve or grind granite to form these cones however that would've have probably proved beyond me. I then got a quote from a stoneyard to carve them. It wasn't the expense that stopped me form going that route. It was more a case of this is my piece of art and therefore I wanted to have as much hands on input into it as possible.

I then started researching fibreglass and resins before finding by chance a thread where someone had made caves out of Apoxie Sculpt for his L46 Zebra plecos.

This stuff is far from cheap but after researching heavily it has rave reviews and so I bought up 8lbs (nearly 4kg.) That took £75 from my wallet so it isn't worth making your own branches or rocks if you want natural looking ones. The real thing is cheaper.

The clay is workable for 3 hours and will still warp if allowed to up to 10 hours later so these cones were scored at equal points around the circumference to the tip. If I hadn't scored the card then it would try and flatten itself out and where it is joined would be pointed along that side. The scores stopped that and kept it perfectly 'round'. When I say round it will of course come out as a multi-sided pyramid and not round at all.

After the clay in the moulds had been left for 24 hours, I removed the card moulds to reveal some very shiny pyramids. The sellotape had done it's job perfectly and there is no 'stain' on the clay, nor paper that has become part of the clay. One cool aspect is that you see 'fault lines' where each piece of clay was pushed into another. Looks very rock like to me.

DSCF3176.JPG

DSCF3177.JPG

The next step was to work the shapes into perfectly round cones. I don't want pyramids, that was solely to get a stable mould shape. P60 very coarse copper oxide paper was used to 'grind' the high points off to get a rounded cone. This stuff cures quite literally rock hard. Takes a lot of work to get it sanded. After the P60 I went to P240, P400, P800 wet and dry to remove the scratches and the photos below show the differences between the unfinished pyramids and finished cones.

No photos to show the next stage which was to wet some more clay and rub it over the cones to fill any voids. This was then sanded back after 24 hours with P240 onward to smooth it off.

DSCF3178.JPG

DSCF3179.JPG

DSCF3180.JPG

DSCF3181.JPG

DSCF3182.JPG

DSCF3183.JPG

DSCF3184.JPG

DSCF3185.JPG

With the cones and most of the plants ready (I have some Blyxa in another tank which I will add in here in the next few days) I started the setup. 10 months since I thought this vision up and now to see if the vision works in reality.

First thing was to add a frosted sheet to the back of the tank. This is simply added by spraying a washing up liquid solution onto the glass, adding the film and then with a squeegy pushing the water and air out.

DSCF3186.JPG

DSCF3188.JPG

Then a very important step These cones are hollow and will trap air inside so each has a hole drilled at the top on the rear as you view it. this lets the air out of the cone.

DSCF3189.JPG

Forgive the photos in the room. The style of the scape doesn't fit the decor around it at the moment. I am in the process of 'gutting' my whole downstairs and modernising it all. This aquarium will be sat atop a gloss white cabinet in a month or so once I have built and finished it.

I drew lines in the sand to mark the exact centre points as mathematics is key to this aquascape. Symmetry is being used and I want equal measurements. The cones are added and the aquarium put into it's place on top of some black camping mat (Neoprene foam.)

DSCF3190.JPG

DSCF3191.JPG

DSCF3192.JPG

DSCF3193.JPG

Along the front small pieces (1cm) of wire mesh with Fissidens Fontanus attached to it are added. Behind the small cones Echinodorus Tennelus is planted. At the rear Mayaca Fluviatilis is added. The Blyxa will go in front of the large cone in the next few days.

The tank is filled and I am very happy with the result. It almost looks like a digital rendering but I can promise you it isn't. This should look really good once the plants are grown and the full effect can be seen.

The Bumblebee shrimp arrive on Wednesday (3 days time) so this is going to be great to look at.

The little TMC LED light works superbly for what I want here. It is small and I can push it low down and get the 'spotlight' effect over the main composition of the aquarium. No light needed on the sides, just the centre.

One thing that works excellently that many may think 'so what' is that each intersection is an equal angle. The points of the cones, the point where one cone meets another. Each triangle you can see is an equal angle.

DSCF3195.JPG

DSCF3196.JPG

Regards
Andy

That's not a lot of plant mass there, Andy. I see the fert regimen, but no CO2?

I'm curious about this one. Not sold on the design, but you know me, I'm pretty traditional. I understand your rational for it though.

OL

The Mayaca will fill out quite quickly and I have 3 Blyxa to add in.

No CO2. Not necessary IMO for this one. Ferts are minimal but it will only have shrimp in it so no natural fertilser really.

I think though the amount of light has to be taken into consideration here. This light is one that comes with the TMC 8 litre 'microhabitat'. No idea on actual PAR but I would guess we are well below 1WPG here and also because of the shape of it's output the light is right over the centre of the tank. The edges and corners are much darker than in the pictures above.

Won't be a jungle in there. Not aiming for hat but it will be much fuller in the central area where the light is. Nothing outside of this area though (If I can control the chain sword :) )

I'd be really concerned about algae on the cones.... as Liz said it;s not much plant mass and even with low lighting algae can still take hold (experience talking there!) :blush: I'm interested to see where it goes :nod:

Dare to be different. It will be nice to see your end vision.
good.gif

the TMC lights are great, i have one over my nano. It looks interesting mate, i'm not sure how much interest it'll hold for you though, as it's done as a scape isn't it?

Nice opti white mate, did you get the 80cm?

Yep. The 80cm has been sat on top of the old cabinet for a month or so now. I got it made 40cm deep instead of 35cm like the old float glass one. It will stay empty until the cabinet is finished and the redecoration complete in that corner of the lounge.

The light is great however it ain't very bright. I would say this is in the region of 1W total. That is comparing it to a single 3W LED. No idea though. If there are algae problems then I may add Excel, but it really is very very low light.

As for getting bored? Me... lol. I may pretend to be an aquascaper but in reality I just make aquascapes as a complimentary decoration to suit the decor of the room. When my taste changes I redo rooms and the aquascape has to change too :) If succesful this (or others along the same style) will remain as a decoration :) The main 80cm one will be a pretty similar setup, just different shapes and a much more complicated sculpture to build.

Mmmm. Mayaca Fluviatilis is quite similar to a fair few plants really. Meaning it's 'fluffy' texture. It is though the most common of them by a long way.

I chose it to add a bit of friction in a scape that is very much simple lines. It's a plant that never grows straight and always seems to dart out all over the place. A bit like when a kid gets on a drawing program on the PC and starts 'thrashing' away.

The Blyxa is now in and adds another little bit of craziness. It also breaks up the monotony of the grey bulk in the centre. The idea was always to have plants in between each 'stage' of the cones to define their edges.

The Mayaca's chaos breaks away from the tidiness, then the Blyxa spreading out like a fan gives another effect. Then the relatively restrained and controlled E Tenellus and Fissidens.

Will post up some piccies later. The Blyxa really gives it some 'island feel even though it is far from an island. The footprint of the planted/hardscape section is basically the whole of the middle third of the tank. Planting starts 2cm from the front and the Mayaca is in the rear 3-4cm right to the glass.

Andy

I really like it Andy, the way you have explained it makes alot more sense now. It's a nice change to see something very different to all the other scapes.

The Blyxa has now been added and gives another effect within the tank as it fans out. It also breaks up the central grey monotony.

A few other pictures showing the aquascape in situ ple from above so you can see how far from being an island scape it is actually 2 thirds with the outer thrids being empty. The final shot just shows how low I have this little LED light to focus it over the centre and get that 'spotlight' effect.

DSCF3217.JPG

DSCF3218.JPG

DSCF3219.JPG

DSCF3220.JPG

DSCF3221.JPG

DSCF3222.JPG

DSCF3224.JPG

DSCF3225.JPG

DSCF3226.JPG

DSCF3227.JPG

Andy

I like it that you've stepped away from the norm, very modern art, only thing I'd have done different is made the cones bigger but their size only depends on the opinion of the scaper so as long as your happy it doesn't matter. You never know one day this might be as big as the NA style.

I like it that you've stepped away from the norm, very modern art, only thing I'd have done different is made the cones bigger but their size only depends on the opinion of the scaper so as long as your happy it doesn't matter. You never know one day this might be as big as the NA style.

Lol. On the cone sizes you have to think of mathematics here. As they are the largest is about 3/5ths of the water depth. When the Mayaca grows out and is pruned to size that will increase the visual depth to 4/5th of the water depth.

Then on another mathematics not I had to think of proportions. You can draw in 2D massive cones but when you start to plan in 3D the footprint halts your plan. To fit taller cones in the footprint would have to remain the same and then they would have been much thinner and IMO ruin the effect.

Maybe showing my original planning explains a little better. Mathematics is a key element in the planning:
coneabove.jpg

conefront.jpg

Andy

The Bumblebee shrimp (Breviata / Hummel) arrive and are acclimitised over 3 hours with the drip method. Then they go into the tank. These shots are about 2 hours after they have entered their new home and there are 2 berried females.

DSCF3228.JPG

DSCF3230.JPG

DSCF3231.JPG

DSCF3233.JPG

DSCF3234.JPG

DSCF3235.JPG

DSCF3238.JPG

DSCF3241.JPG

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online