Columnaris and Ich?

There already is salt in the tank at that amount as I was using it to treat Ich along with Ich-x

The rainbowfish died this morning, so I think it is Columnaris.
Can I use Melafix and Pimafix to treat it?

Colin will deal with treatment, but I will just say, never use more than one medication/chemical in a tank as they may interact and make things worse, including the death of the fish. Stay with the selected treatment and do a major water change (may involve good substrate vacuum, sometimes may have to include new filter media, depending) before using a different medication.

Today actually is supposed to be the last day of my Ich X treatment, so I think I will finish it today, do a 75% water change while adding back carbon media to remove all the medication and chemicals.

Then start the medications for the Columnaris.

Last edited:
For Columnaris can I use Kanaplex and Furan-2?

Yes, if you are fairly certain it is columnaris or a similar bacterial issue. I foolishly introduced this to a tank some years ago, and sought professional advice and was advised to use both (each as directed on the package), and it did work. Plants do not like the Furan, but that is a minor issue compared to curing the disease.

Yeah I don't care about the plants. Compared with the fish they cost nothing

I'm pretty sure it is Columnaris or something bacterial as I literally saw the white patch yesterday and by this morning it was dead :(

Yesterday was the last day of treating with Ich X and I want to leave it for 24 hours in the water, so I would want to remove it today this afternoon.
Is there any easy way to remove it? Can I just add the carbon media to my filter and let it run for 2 - 3 hours?

Or is it possible to just use the Kanaplex and Furan - 2 while the Ich X is in the water?

Do a 90% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Then add carbon for a few hours if you like. After that remove the carbon and add the other medication.
Make sure the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Wipe the inside of the glass down and clean the filter too before treating with a new medication.

So I started the medication for Columnaris yesterday, but of course the Ich isn’t gone yet.

This morning one of my rainbow fish is showing ich on her.
Can my fish last 4 more days with Ich? Because I just now started Columnaris treatment and won’t be over till 4 more days

You can drop the water temperature to around 20C to slow the growth of the white spot parasites. Then you should be able to get 4 days of anti-bacterial treatment in. Otherwise jack the temperature up to 30C and the heat should kill the white spot parasites. However, 30C with medication for Columnaris could kill the fish.

Alright, Im at 70 right now, will lower it.
Hopefully they can hang on for 3 more days

Make sure you remove carbon from filters before treating the tank.

Before you treat the tank and before you re-treat the tank, wipe the inside of the glass down, do a huge (90%) water change and complete gravel clean, and clean the filter. This will reduce the microscopic organisms in the water and remove most of the gunk and give the medication the best chance of working.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If you are using anti-biotics, the tank should be cleaned each day before a new dose is applied.

Yep, following this at the moment.
I did all of those before I added in the Furan-2 and Kanaplex and will do that after Im done with the medications to start treating Ich again.
  • Day 1: Furan-2 and KanaPlex
  • Day 2: Furan-2
  • Day 3: 25% water change, Furan-2 and KanaPlex
  • Day 4: Furan-2
  • Day 5: 25% water change, Furan-2 and KanaPlex

Alright, so Columnaris treatment is gone, and I did everything Colin told me to do about cleaning.

I dont see any signs of Ich anymore though, does Furan - 2/Kanaplex treat Ich or something?
Should I hold off on Ich X till I see signs of Ich or should I just start dosing now?

I dont see any signs of Ich anymore though, does Furan - 2/Kanaplex treat Ich or something?
Should I hold off on Ich X till I see signs of Ich or should I just start dosing now?
No, Kanaplex and Furan are anti-biotics and only treat some types of bacteria. They do nothing to any other type of disease organism.

White spot is a protozoan parasite and is unaffected by anti-biotics.

The safest way to treat white spot is with heat. Raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks or at least 1 week after all the white dots have gone.

Most reactions

Back