Columnaris and Ich?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Alright, just did that.
If it get works Ill use Ich-X or something.

Im scared that my tank might have to recycle because Furan 2 affects the biological filter, do you know what I should do if I start seeing ammonia spikes?

If you ever get an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the level is back on 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

So far no ammonia or nitrite readings, but something weird is happening with my gourami.
Ich is also gone and havent seen signs in 2 days.

He hasn't ate in like 5 days and hes always hiding in a cave and normally never shows himself.
This was him this morning, but now he was laying on the floor headfirst and we thought he passed away, but when we netted him he moved just a little.
We put him in a small bowl and hes moving around barely.

Anyone know what this is or what happened, and is whatever wrong with him contagious?
I dont know if he is going to make it, but I dont want the other fish to get sick also.

Attachments

• IMG-4125.jpg
    IMG-4125.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-4126.jpg
    IMG-4126.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-4127.jpg
    IMG-4127.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 38
Can't see anything from the pictures, which would suggest an internal problem.
What does its poop look like?
If it did/ does stringy white poop, then it has an internal issue and most of these can't be treated.

See following link for info on stringy white poop in fish.

Yeah he passed away, probably an internal issue.

On another note, got an ammonia reading of 0.25 ppm, just did a 50% water change and used stress coat along with prime.
Any idea how long it'll take for it to stabilize again?

Yeah he passed away, probably an internal issue.

On another note, got an ammonia reading of 0.25 ppm, just did a 50% water change and used stress coat along with prime.
Any idea how long it'll take for it to stabilize again?

Do not use StressCoat, it contains aloe vera and studies have indicated this substance can harm or negatively affect fish. Prime is a water conditioner sufficient on its own (though I won't use it for reasons of what it is/does), but it is "safer" (whatever that means) than StressCoat. However, Prime does not remove ammonia, nitrite or nitrate; it somehow binds them to make them temporarily non-toxic to fish, but this only lasts 24-36 hours according to Seachem, after which the form of nitrogen if still present again becomes toxic. And the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate will still show as the substance using our aquarium tests, whether toxic or non-toxic.

As for the ammonia, 0.25 is very low and often seen if chloramine is added to your water by the city. Do you know if it is? Also, if you have live plants, especially fast growers (floating plants are ideal for this) they will easily take up that ammonia permanently.

Chloramine isn’t added in my city.
I think it’s a mini cycle, so i’m currently adding prime daily with stability and ordered from fritz turbo start.
Probably happened because of the Furan 2 that we added to stop Columnaris

Just do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.

The ammonia spike could be from the dead fish. If it is, then it should clear up in a few hours.

Ammonia seems to be at 0 - 0.25 (somewhere in the middle)
But of course there is another issue.

2 of my swordtails have huge stomachs and one is staying at the top of the tank and not moving very much.
What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG-4179.jpg
    IMG-4179.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-4181.jpg
    IMG-4181.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 34
Picture from the top - I dont see any pineconing so I dont think its dropsy

Attachments

• unnamed (13).jpg
    unnamed (13).jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 32
They look bloated.

Are they still eating well?
What does their poop look like?
How quickly did they get fat?
Are they gasping by the surface?
Do you have any floating plants in the tank for them to hide in?

---------------------
If they stopped eating and do a stringy white poop, they have an internal bacterial infection and will probably die in a day or so.

If they are eating well and doing a normal coloured poop, then they do not have an intestinal problem.

The following link has more information on fish doing stringy white poop.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back