Columnaris and Ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

slushie

Reaction score
Hey, I have a 55 gallon tank that has been infected with Ich yesterday morning.
We upped the temperature and started Ich X treatments with salt along with higher temp/

However, last night one of our bosemani rainbowfish passed away suddenly.
Is this Columnaris?
We think it could be because it was fighting with another fish, and not Columnaris.

Someone help

Attachments

• IMG-3980.jpg
    IMG-3980.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG-3974.jpg
    IMG-3974.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG-3978.jpg
    IMG-3978.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 118
It looks like a burn or physical damage from a predatory fish grabbing it.

How quickly did the red patch appear?
What else is in the tank?
How long has the tank been set up for?

What are you using to treat the white spot?
Have you got pictures of the fish with white spot?

------------------
The safest way to treat white spot is by raising the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keeping it there for a couple of weeks, or at least one week after all the white spots have disappeared.

Rainbowfish are sensitive to chemicals and overdosing the tank will kill them very quickly.

How quickly did the red patch appear?
Just yesterday, the fish also passed away.
I have 2 peacock gudgeons, 1 red tail shark, 2 white skirt tetras, 4 glofish, 6 red serape tetras, 3 swordtails, 2 cory’s, 5 boesemani rainbow fish, and a 1 gourami
How long has the tank been set up for?
2 months - fish added a over course of the last 2 weeks

What are you using to treat the white spot?
Ich X with Aquarium Salt
Have you got pictures of the fish with white spot?
Lots of it is gone, but I can see if there are any right now.

My initial concern was that the bosemani rainbowfish had Columnaris and if I should start doing treatments for that.
However, I haven't seen the symptoms in any other fish soo far

Rainbowfish don't normally get columnaris and that didn't look like columnaris.

If rainbowfish do look off colour, the best treatment is a big water change, gravel clean the substrate, clean the filter, and add salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres). Keep salt in tank for 2-4 weeks.

Alright, thank you so much.

Also quick question, is it possible to add 1 or 2 angelfish to my tank or would that be overstocking?

dont add anyt6hing for at least a month after a fish dies, just in case this isnt over

I have 2 peacock gudgeons, 1 red tail shark, 2 white skirt tetras, 4 glofish, 6 red serape tetras, 3 swordtails, 2 cory’s, 5 boesemani rainbow fish, and a 1 gourami
Even if the tank was disease free I would not add angels. They do not mix well with some of the other fish you have - the ones in bold above.

Gouramis and angelfish are never a good mix.
Serpae tetras are renowned fin nippers especially in small numbers. Angelfish fins would be targets - I'm surprised they've not gone for the gourami already.

I agree with @Essjay but would add that some of the other named fish are also serious problems here. The White Skirt Tetras (same species as Black Skirt/Black Widow) are known to nip fins when they are in small numbers (anything less than 7-8) and if sedate fish (gourami, angels) are in the tank they are almost certain to get targeted eventually. Though the other fish (Serpae Tetra) may beat them to it. And the Red Tail Shark has a reputation for taking a real dislike to upper fish that have a vertical stripe pattern...like the common angelfish. The cories need a larger group, but this is another problem...other substrate fish should not be combined with a RTS.

Aside from that, angelfish as two are not going to get along if the fish are normally healthy, unless you luck out and acquire a male/female bonded pair. Angelfish must select their mates from the group, they are a shoaling species. No point in going into all that though, as with the other fish here this would never work out.

Alright, thank you.

Ill instead get some white skirt tetras and a few corys in a month which should fix that problem.

Thanks again for all the help, as I would've never known about this.

Also, arent the Glofish Tetras and White Skirt Tetras the same species?
They often school together

Also, arent the Glofish Tetras and White Skirt Tetras the same species?
They often school together

Glofish are genetically-engineered fish from one of several species upon which this practice is now being inflicted. Zebra Danio, Black Skirt Tetra, Tiger Barb, even the Rainbow Shark. The only way to stop this is not to buy them. The fact that the European Union prohibits importation of these "Glofish" is instructive.

Hey, I have a 55 gallon tank that has been infected with Ich yesterday morning.
We upped the temperature and started Ich X treatments with salt along with higher temp/

However, last night one of our bosemani rainbowfish passed away suddenly.
Is this Columnaris?
We think it could be because it was fighting with another fish, and not Columnaris.

Someone help
Definitely not ich.

Looks like either a burn or very severe bacterial infection. Well turning temp up is very bad for bacterial infections but that looks so severe it would of required antibiotics likely orally.

Another rainbowfish is showing the same white streak on its back!
He is still eating however.

Please help

Attachments

• IMG-3997.jpg
    IMG-3997.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-3996.jpg
    IMG-3996.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-3993.jpg
    IMG-3993.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 67
Have you put any salt in the tank?
If not put some in. Use 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the tank for at least 2 weeks.

There already is salt in the tank at that amount as I was using it to treat Ich along with Ich-x

The rainbowfish died this morning, so I think it is Columnaris.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back