Regulating tank temperature?? HELP!!

OK if your temp drops that far at night but then goes back up it is likely where you have the heaters plugged in are shutoff in the evening. Just a suggestion but I have seen wall sockets that are tied to a switch used to turn off a lamp or other device that is plugged in. You go to bed at night and turn off the switch. Alternatively it is possible that you have a timed power strip and you have plugged into the side that is controlled by a timer. Overall given your explanation it seems to me that the heaters might be inadvertently turned off in the evening.

I do not agree with the advice here on heater placement. ALmost every in tank heater I have is place horizontally near the bottom of the tank. There are multiple reasons for this.

1. It is easier to hide so less ugly.
2. The heat is emitted the entire bottom half of the heater. When placed vertically it creates a narrow column of rising heated water. When placed as I describe you have several inches of heater sending up a small wall of heated water.
3. Since heat and heated water rise, it pulls other water upwards. You get more pull from a heater which is [placed horizontally bear the bottom where the coldest water in a tank naturally is. So you are heating more of the coldest water and moving even more water from the bottom to the surface.
4. Circulation helps even out the water so there are noyt so many quiet areas and things like dechlor and meds get distributed not to mention warmer water and oxygen.

The kld will help hold in the heat some.

Is there any chance that the power to the tank is off at night when nobody is there? I can heat a 10 gal. with a pair of 100w heaters placed apart in the tank even if the external temp. is under 60F. I could do it with a single 150w but I like using multiple heaters for a number of reasons. I have found that using an additional heater controller is a big help but they are not cheap.

A lot of folks will say bettas need warmish water. Depending on which site one visits, you will see the range from about 75 to 82. So, you need to insure your fish are in that range. I would start by raising the temp on the heaters. But I am wondering if they are both working correctly. The one set to 79 likely is since your tank hits that temp during the day. But if you need lore heat over night and are not getting it, I wonder about the second heater. Is there any chance it isn't working?

When you go to work tomorrow, if the temp is low put your hand into the tank near the lower half of the 50w and see if you can tell it is heating. You may as well check the bigger one, JIK.

When I do my outdoor summer tanks the overnight temps early and late in the season are the challenge. I keep fish which want water between 80 and 86 F most of the time. But during the start and end of the season I am seeing temps in the mid 50s over night. To battle that I need to use 15 wpg or more for bigger tanks (40 to 50 gal.).
I have always kept my heaters Horizontal. I have a 73 gallon at home and have never had a problem with temp in 15 years of tending to that tank. I am now considering doing 1 vertical by the intake area and 1 horizontal on the other end. LOL

It does have a pretty small pump that came with the tank. I am now wondering if I should upgrade and go with something different, It now just has a circulation pump and then Foam (carbon which I don't use) and biomax. That got me thinking....

I am going to check both heaters in the morning. One of them seemed to have some build up on the bottom. Even after cleaning it still felt like it did not come off. so maybe it is dead and not working well. Humph.

Thanks for checking in and replying to this thread.

OK if your temp drops that far at night but then goes back up it is likely where you have the heaters plugged in are shutoff in the evening. Just a suggestion but I have seen wall sockets that are tied to a switch used to turn off a lamp or other device that is plugged in. You go to bed at night and turn off the switch. Alternatively it is possible that you have a timed power strip and you have plugged into the side that is controlled by a timer. Overall given your explanation it seems to me that the heaters might be inadvertently turned off in the evening.
None of those things are happening with the tank. Although I appreciate your reply. The heaters are plugged in direct to the socket. Even when I leave at night and turn off the office lights I can see the lights on the heaters still working. I do have a timer on the strip but the only thing plugged into that is my lighting. maybe as another poster said one is not working all the way. I have many heaters at home but they are for my 73 gallon tank.

One vertical with the heating element at 1/4 inch from my filter intake, always given the best performance regarding frequency of use.

The time the heater is on versus time that it is off. The longer the better. for both. your heater should be working 1/4 of the time and less. But not clicking on and off 26 times per hour... goes on one time per hour for 15 minutes.

And this way I tested that the whole tank conserve a lot more stable temperature and that the corners where not turned round.

The filter diffuse the heat in such a great way that the heater will have to work a little more to fill the tank. But will have also to work less often because it fills it better.

Anyway don't take my word for it, I mostly ran smaller and tiny tanks all the time. This works great for them, after testing a couple positions I could use and walking a thermometer around the tanks, I opted for that form factor. I understand that larger setup could be a lot different.

It keeps the filter warmer, more bacteria multiplication, If you have a canister lying on the floor, try it. it's great with hobs.

Another thing to understand when creating a filtration system in small aquariums, Is to take advantage of drain pan effect and use it to distribute heat, fertilizer, food and bring dirt to a resting place. Where it can be dealt easy.

#1: The heaters are a 50w & 75w.
#2: Temp set 76 & 78 degrees
#3: when I leave at night the temp is usually is about 78 in the tank/ When I arrive in the morning it may 68 or 72
#4: tank size is 20.5"L x 11.6"H x 7.5"W 5Gallon
#5: Yes there is a tank cover with a hole in the center for the light to go through. I just started using the cover regularly the last couple weeks.
#6: No polystyrene it was place directly on the metal. I today put a thick small ikea rug underneath it.
You want both heaters on the same temperature. You have the lower wattage heater set to a higher temperature and that will have to work much harder to warm the water. Just set them both to 76F.

Those 2 heaters should be ample for that size tank.

Heaters should be set on roughly a 45 degree angle with the heating coil lower than the thermostat. Some heaters can malfunction if they are horizontal and the thermostat is level or lower than the heating coil. It's not common but it has happened.

----------------

If the aquarium is sitting on a metal table, the cold will transfer straight through the metal, glass and into the water. A 1 inch thick piece of polystyrene foam would insulate the base of the tank much more effectively than a rug, and should make a huge difference to temperature stability. If it's on a metal stand, there is a similar situation but not quite as bad, but it's still an issue.

You can normally get polystyene foam sheets from pet shops or hardware stores, or even a polystyrene manufacturer. You can cut it easily with a sharp knife or single sided razorblade. Just slice it repeatedly until it cuts through the foam.

I would put foam under the base back and side without the filter, and put a piece on top of the lid at night. Have both heaters set to the same temperature and see how it goes. You might need to put some more foam on the side with the filter.

Make sure water doesn't collect on the foam on the lid and drip onto the light.

This is great advice. I did the rug over night. When I left the tank was at 78. on the money when I arrived this morning it was between 70 and 72. I think I will go get some polystyrene. I will call my local pet shop and see if they sell if not I am sure Home Depot have some. Since this tank is in my office I don't want to have foam all over the tank. Next winter I will get some for the back and one side since it is so cold.

Have you actually checked the thermostats on the heaters? These often require calibration. The easiest way to do this is put the heater in a bucket of colder (than the thermostat is set to) water with a thermometer that you know is correct. The heater should not turn off until the water is at the correct temp. If it turns off 5 degrees too soon you need to set the thermostat 5 degrees higher.
I would then re-verify to avoid cooking the fish.

For those following this thread. I put a heater of 120w in the tank set to 79 to see if it maintains rather than the 2 50w and 75w. Thank you!!

@jodisgermanshepherd forgot to say hi and :hi:
I'm pretty sure forum rules don't allow you to have a name like that without pics to back it up :fun:

Here is my lad at 7 months (although he is technically Swiss)
c8e79f28-e260-4cff-8b57-044823208c84.JPG

Most reactions

Back