FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The filter should have stayed on the tank.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I did everything as directed, exept the temp. My fish were in distress around 80degrees so I dropped it to 79. My placostomus died this morning unfortunately. So, do u recommend bleach to sterilize this tank?? No fish left I'm draining it later to clean it. I need to kill this parasite. Not sure how to go about it. Filter was running the whole time but I did take the carbon out during treatment. I will treat w salt down the road if i get ick again, i think the meds r too strong.

If Ich was the only problem the parasite cannot survive without a host. So if you just leave the tank running you don't have to do anything else. You can turn the heat up if you like but within 2-3 weeks there will be no ich left in the tank.

Does the filter have anything else besides the carbon?
Nope just the carbon pouch, there r 2 of them in the 55 gallon. I threw them away since I figured they were contaminated w ich

If Ich was the only problem the parasite cannot survive without a host. So if you just leave the tank running you don't have to do anything else. You can turn the heat up if you like but within 2-3 weeks there will be no ich left in the tank.
Thanks!! I drained it, washed it w steaming hot water, dried it. I did throw my decorations away but I washed the plastic plants. I had to wash the filter itself also. I'm buying a new heater too because of the dye. I am getting 2 more blood parrot babies & a baby placostomus next fri :)

Thanks!! I drained it, washed it w steaming hot water, dried it. I did throw my decorations away but I washed the plastic plants. I had to wash the filter itself also. I'm buying a new heater too because of the dye. I am getting 2 more blood parrot babies & a baby placostomus next fri :)
I'm afraid that's too soon. You effectively have a new tank now with zero beneficial bacteria and will be starting from scratch.

This explains what to do from here https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

I would also suggest replacing the carbon with sponge. That doesn't need to be taken out when medicating the tank, and lasts for years. It is a much better filter medium than carbon, which is not necessary full time anyway.

I would also suggest replacing the carbon with sponge. That doesn't need to be taken out when medicating the tank, and lasts for years. It is a much better filter medium than carbon, which is not necessary full time anyway.
What type of sponge?? That's amazing info, I had no idea!!

Any brand of filter sponge, as long as it is big enough to cut down to fit the filter. It needs to be a snug fit with no gaps for the water to sneak past.

Aquaclear sponges are solid and come in a bunch of different sizes.

What size tank are we talking about again? 55? I'd recommend highly against a common pleco as they get too large.

There are a bunch of plecos that only get 6 inches or less the more common ones being bristlenose pleco and clown pleco.

Cycle the tank out, test water, and add fish nice and slow.

It also might be more useful to make a topic on re setting up the tank.

Aquaclear sponges are solid and come in a bunch of different sizes.

What size tank are we talking about again? 55? I'd recommend highly against a common pleco as they get too large.

There are a bunch of plecos that only get 6 inches or less the more common ones being bristlenose pleco and clown pleco.

Cycle the tank out, test water, and add fish nice and slow.

It also might be more useful to make a topic on re setting up the tank.
Yes 55 gal. And I totally agree w u on the pleco, I'm picking up one that will only get 5 inches or so which is perfect for me. I thought about selling all of my fishtank & stuff but I'm definatly hooked on it so I thought I would not let the ich experience defeat me because I definitely wanted to give up. I also know I have alot to learn & have lots of reading to do :) thank u for all of ur help!!

Yes 55 gal. And I totally agree w u on the pleco, I'm picking up one that will only get 5 inches or so which is perfect for me. I thought about selling all of my fishtank & stuff but I'm definatly hooked on it so I thought I would not let the ich experience defeat me because I definitely wanted to give up. I also know I have alot to learn & have lots of reading to do :) thank u for all of ur help!!
Once your tank is fully established, you'll have a much easier time. And remember when stocking to stock it as if the fish were max size

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back