The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

abegonzalez0221

Reaction score
Hi, I have this really shy parrot fish and iā€™ve had her for almost a month now, sheā€™s still really shy. Sheā€™s in my 55 with a few juvenile rainbows, they all get along fine. I was looking at her today and noticed she had a really small white marking on her fin (see picture below) but Iā€™m really now sure if itā€™s ich or not. I already removed the carbon, raised the temp. to 82Ā° and added some salt as well as some medication just in case. But is that ich? I checked every other fish and none of them seem to have anything on them other than my little swordtail who has a very small white spot that i couldnā€™t tell if it was also ich or not.

Attachments

• 8B152033-2D4E-49F5-9F5B-E83169D957F5.jpeg
    8B152033-2D4E-49F5-9F5B-E83169D957F5.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 62
Hi, I have this really shy parrot fish and iā€™ve had her for almost a month now, sheā€™s still really shy. Sheā€™s in my 55 with a few juvenile rainbows, they all get along fine. I was looking at her today and noticed she had a really small white marking on her fin (see picture below) but Iā€™m really now sure if itā€™s ich or not. I already removed the carbon, raised the temp. to 82Ā° and added some salt as well as some medication just in case. But is that ich? I checked every other fish and none of them seem to have anything on them other than my little swordtail who has a very small white spot that i couldnā€™t tell if it was also ich or not.
If possible, try to get a picture of the spot so we know what it looks like. Or, if itā€™s slightly visible in the picture you already took, try to circle it so we know where to look :)

Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?
If you haven't added anything new in the last few weeks, it is unlikely to be white spot.

How long has the fish had the white dot on the pectoral (side) fin?
If the fish has had the white spot for more than 3 or 4 days, it is unlikely to be white spot because that usually drops off after a few days.

----------------------
You can treat white spot without chemicals. Just raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the white dots have gone.

Before you raise the temperature or use medications, do a massive water change and complete gravel clean. Clean the filter. Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen level in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

The following link has information about white spot and various ways to treat it. Post #1 and #16 are worth a read if you are interested. :)

Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?
If you haven't added anything new in the last few weeks, it is unlikely to be white spot.

How long has the fish had the white dot on the pectoral (side) fin?
If the fish has had the white spot for more than 3 or 4 days, it is unlikely to be white spot because that usually drops off after a few days.

----------------------
You can treat white spot without chemicals. Just raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the white dots have gone.

Before you raise the temperature or use medications, do a massive water change and complete gravel clean. Clean the filter. Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen level in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

The following link has information about white spot and various ways to treat it. Post #1 and #16 are worth a read if you are interested. :)
Thank you, Iā€™ll do that temperature method. But would my Rainbows me fine? same with my blood parrot

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back