Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Blood parrot cichlid sick

Discussion in 'Welcome: Introduce Yourself & Learn More About TFF' started by Goosegrl2019, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Metalhead88

Metalhead88 Fish Crazy

You can hit it with a quick gravel vac to just get it out of the tank. Try not to pull out enough water that you have to add more

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Goosegrl2019

Goosegrl2019 Fish Fanatic

Thank u if I can get half a bucket I can prob get, should I replace this water or just leave it?? I figure out of 55 gal I only have 50 gal of water in it as it sits. Thanks again for many words of encouragement, this has been a real ordeal.

3. Goosegrl2019

Maybe 1/4 of a bucket since theres barely gravel I can c them

4. Metalhead88

Metalhead88 Fish Crazy

Yeah, go for it. Suck up what you can.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Metalhead88

Metalhead88 Fish Crazy

As long as your tank is fully operational as far as filter and everything else, I wouldn't refill. Just refill it all the way with your next water change which should be tomorrow or whenever the medication calls for a water change and redose.

I'm glad I can help. Im sad to hear that you lost a few fish, but it seems like it's all uphill from here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Goosegrl2019

Ok awesome!! Yes tomorrow will b second dose of meds so I will refill it. I sooo appreciate it!! Uphill for sure :)

7. Goosegrl2019

A week exactly after I put the new fish in, ich killed everything in the tank but the placostomus. I'm doin a water change & redosing tonite, I hope He makes it. Thank u for ur help metalhead88, I really appreciated it so much!!

#52 Goosegrl2019, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  8. Goosegrl2019

Metalhead88 if ir still following this thread I had a question. As u know I have been treating for ich. I havent seen any spots on my plecostomus for 2 days. Tomorrow is water change & put filters back in. I believe I'm free of ick. I removed all of the gravel & was able to vac well yesterday & have removed & boiled all plants & decorations in the tank. He still has his favorite rock cave in there until tomorrow when I do water change & I will scrub it. He doesnt seem to b eating still ( that I know of) & he hides so much it's hard to tell if hes ok. What do h think?? Should I keep treating as if he does have it?? Poor guy

9. Metalhead88

Metalhead88 Fish Crazy

You should treat for a few days after the last sign of ich. It should say it on the directions.

Did you remove the filter?

Did the parrot die?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Metalhead88

Metalhead88 Fish Crazy

Plecos will graze all day and night. If you see pleco poo, he's eating.

11. Metalhead88

Metalhead88 Fish Crazy

Actually, since pleco are scaleless, they are sensitive to many medications. I'm unfamiliar with the medication you are using so I can't really comment on that exactly. If it's the only fish in the tank stop dosing, keep temperature at 86, do a 50% water change and a 15% water change for the next 5 days. After that everything should be back to normal.

12. Goosegrl2019

13. Goosegrl2019

Yes she died so did the remaining gourami (one of the new guys) when I got up yesterday they were both dead & no body had ich on them. Weird. Not sure but my blood parrot was staying at the top quite a bit the last eve & was covered in it. The pleco only was ever salted in it not covered in it. I felt like he never had it as bad if that makes sense. Hes around 5-6 inches & tough.

14. Goosegrl2019

Yes filter has been out the whole time :)

15. Goosegrl2019

Filters back in right?? I mean after 50%water change & prime?? Yes hes the only fish that made it. I believe I started dosing too late, it was major, covering the BP the second day worse & in its eyes, it was gruesome. Anyway I think she died that night. The gouramis were doomed from the start I think. It was also very very hard to c ick on them. But the pleco is still hanging in, not sure of hes eating or not I scooped out an uneaten algea tab earlier. Should I get blood worms for after water change?? I have never given him anything like that but I will :)