FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lily_goes_lol

Reaction score
I want to breed my two halfmoon Betta's. I have done all the bloodlines of both my female and male, I think the offspring would be quite good. I have asked the local pet store if they would like some Betta fish, they agreed.

Question is that, can I keep the male offspring together? (Obviously you would have to separate the females) I heard it somewhere that you don't have to separate the males if they have been bred together. Is this true?

Thanks!

Whilst I'm not an expert, by any stretch, what I do know is that the male offspring definitely need segregating as soon as you can identify the gender.

It may be true to some extent as long as they are kept in a big enough tank that is well planted to break up their line of sight. I have several male plakats that I have bred along with a couple of females in a 200L heavily planted and even though they do chase one another if they meet there is no tearing of fins or full out fights, once the less dominant fish swims off through the plants that is it the chase ends.

Male bettas should be kept separately once sex is known or aggression starts to be seen -- whichever is first as the fry are growing out.  Aggression is normally the first thing to be seen and can come from either sex.  Females can be left together for an extended amount of time in a "sorority" tank as long as damage is not being caused between all of them. 

While it is possible to keep some male bettas together in the same tank.....it is not recommended and most times does not work out -- ending in death (by aggression or stress) of at least one of the bettas.  Same goes for keeping male and female bettas together in the same tank.

after any agression occurs, you should begin to remove the most agressive in their own tank, and when another becomes agressive, repeat. Then, you will  have all the bettas seperated soon enough!

Ok Thanks! 
balloon.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back