Ball Python

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Murphee

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have decided to get my first snake, and it wil probably be a baby ball python that i have fell in love with. Just wondering how long could it be housed in a 32''x20''x15'' tank for? And what is the growth rate of these things? I pretty much know what to get regarding bedding, lamps, decor etc.. It is only a smalll snake, not exactly sure how big becuase it was curled up but it is a baby as it said at the shop. Also is a ball python a better snake than a cornsnake for a beginner like myself? Whats the pro's and con's of each? I'd rather ask you guys than the staff at the shop :rolleyes:

Any help, advice info etc.. all greatly appreciated :)

Hi, I don't know a lot about snakes but my cousins bedroom is full of them so i've learnt a thing or two, (more interested in lizards myself)

Usually ball pythons will get to between 3-4 feet, but I'd say a tank of that size should be fine for life for one of these.

As for Cornsnakes they seem to be one of the best snakes for beginners and even one of the best snake species to own.
again the tank will be fine for life

OK thanks for the help.

Anything else i need to know? Anybody?

Cheers :)

That size will be fine for an adult ball python, they only need an enclosure roughly the size of a 30 gallon aquarium to be happy. But remember, an aquarium isnt suitable for a snake as they are master escape artists, it could easily push the lid up and escape.

Make sure it has a water bowl big enough for the snake to soak its whole body in but dont fill it up so much that it overflows when the snake gets in otherwise the spilled water could create a moist bedding that is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and fungi. Which in short basically isnt good for the snake.

Another thing is make sure the snake has a hide box or a cave or something to hide in when its stressed, as ball pythons can get stressed enough to stop feeding, to help with this you can add a strip of duct tape around the bottom of the enclosure which apparently helps the snake feel more secure.

Edit:

If its your first snake, take it slow and research research research, join a reptile forum and ask questions before you buy anything.

I dont own a ball python but we have done in the past before we got a reticulated python, and now a Burmese python the other two died naturally after a full life both after my dad had them for about 25ish years, reticulated python about 10 years ago and the ball python about 4 years ago, so we didnt just "upgrade"

So you can PM me if you have any questions, ill try my best to help

Thanks for the reply, what exactly do you mean when you say put duct tape around the bottom? Where about?

Sorry im a tad confused :S

I think he means the bottom edges of the tank - then it would feel secure and safe - as though he were in a cave and this would mean he'd be happier and come out more.

OK thanks alot :)

if i have anymore questions i will post i here. Or if you feel i should take anything else into consideration then throw it out there. As i said all info etc.. more than welcome

Thanks again folks.

Yeah just tape around the bottom so its almost like the enclosure has a rim, ive edited that post about 3 times since you replied :lol:

I meant to ask, do you know about temperature dimming, heat gradients and humidity?

Nope, i am a complete beginner. I have just joined reptileforumsuk just before, and the guys there are great, lots of help and advice already. I have alot of readig to do in the mean time, and I'm heading to a few different pet shops at the weekend to price some things up and have a look at the different snakes of course. I'm now leaning more towards a cornsake, as I've had some replies sayign they tend to be more lively and less of a pain to keep. And cheaper of course, which is good for me, as i dont have a great deal of money to spend, so as low as possible. But like i said i have some reading to do, and I'm gonna make a list of exactly what i need too, so hope fully i can let you know soon what i have chosen.

Thanks again for the help, and if you feel theres anything else i should know then please post in this thread, it would be great :)

Ian

I got my first snake which was a ball/royal python about 6 weeks ago, hes ace love him to bits

He's a male and just over 3 ft and should hopefully get to 4 ft, females grow bigger to say 4-5ft

Peferect snakes for beginners apparently with only issue being feeding, mine fed straight away on mice although I;m trying to get him on rats

I started keeping him in an aquarium but he escaped a few times despite a bucket of gravel on the lid!! strong snakes for escaping, I bought him a proper vi and he looks a happy chap

I have a ceramic bulb and pulse thermostat, they don;t need uv or a light source as they are nocturnal snakes and keepers of these do not recomend heat mats

there is a royal python forum just google royal python forum

I put some pics of mine on here recently :good:

I meant to ask, do you know about temperature dimming, heat gradients and humidity?

Nope, i am a complete beginner. I have just joined reptileforumsuk just before, and the guys there are great, lots of help and advice already. I have alot of readig to do in the mean time, and I'm heading to a few different pet shops at the weekend to price some things up and have a look at the different snakes of course. I'm not leaning more towards a cornsake, as I've had some replies sayign they tend to be more lively and less of a pain to keep. And cheaper of course, which is good for me, as i dont have a great deal of money to spend, so as low as possible. But like i said i have some reading to do, and I'm gonna make a list of exactly what i need too, so hope fully i can let you know soon what i have chosen.

Thanks again for the help, and if you feel theres anything else i should know then please post in this thread, it would be great :)

Ian

Well basically you want the enclosure to be about 80 - 85 F during the day with a basking spot that is about 90 F you can use a dimming thermostat to dim this at night to about 75 F and an area that is about 80 F

Also, two hiding spots, one in the basking area and one in the regular area so the snake can feel safe and be at a comfortable temperature.

You want the humidity at about 50-60% at all times and 60-65 F when shedding. This can be measured with a hygrometer. You can do this by misting, and have a water container with a large surface area under the lights.

But remember, you want it humid not wet.

I'm just going to ask why you've chosen to go with a ball python as your first snake, they are great little animals when you get them going but are known for feeding problems.

My advice is to look at some alternatives.

Personally like everyone else I'd reccommend starting with a corn snake, but if you really want a boid, do some research on kenyan sand boas, or rosy boas, both are really easy to keep and don't get very big.

Also going to put here, that in my opinion NO reptile tank should contain a Heat Bulb. They are inefficient, expensive and dangerous. Keep your heating and lighting separate. The snakes I mentioned above will all do fine with only a thermostatically controlled heat mat. A ball python will need a heat mat when young and upgraded to a ceramic bulb when older.

In all fairness, if you can get it feeding well though its actually a pretty easy snake to look after...

Edit:

I agree heat bulbs are bad, even if they are high up, the snake can still raise itself and get burned...

I think Royal Pythons can make great first snakes PROVIDING the snake purchased isnt a baby, is at very least a Sub Adult and is proven to feed well and comes with a feeding record of what it eats and when.

I got myself 2 six day old royal pythons via a wholesaler that had a huge batch in and whilst they both eat regularly and very well and are growing like absolute weeds, the ongoing problem is to get them to take the food themselves and not have me hold it against their mouth for them to take it.

Its NOT a job that someone who has never owned snakes before wants to take on, difficult feeders are very hard to look after, especially if you have to resort to puting the mouse or rat inside the snakes mouth without damaging snake in any way.

Personally, Royals are far more interesting snakes than Corn Snakes but the corns do have the colour! Corns, Sand Boas, Rosy Boas, and even Milk Snakes all make very good first snakes. The one common snake i would say avoid is Cali Kings, they can be sooo snappy.

My first ever snake was a stunning baby leucistic Texas Ratsnake. I went to a reptile show (the only place i would want to buy snakes from if a beginner) and i asked about 30 odd people for advise before settling on my Texas Rat, i handled more snakes than i had ever seen of species i didnt even know exist. My favourite was definately the Piebald Royal Python though!

My logic after talking to one particular breeder was that i needed to buy a snake that is easy to tame but is snappy as a youngster, i NEEDED to get bitten regularly so that i lost my fear of being bitten and my reaction of snatching back my hand. After seeing the texas rats i got the breeder to get one out for me, she bit the owner, then she bit the guy she was passed to and then handed on the me... she didnt bite at all! Of course, she spent the next year of so hanging off my hand but she was the most gorgeous snake in the world and i had the chance to look after an identical adult who was th tamest snake i've ever seen!

Never buy any snake without handling it several times at least, seeing it handled by other people, seeing records of what it has eaten and when.

Most reactions

trending

Back