Ball Python

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just google'd and hognose's only get, at max, 3ft.
His shows annoy me, I could right an SA of stupid things, for example he's walking along one second, randomly the film switches and he's running down a hill making weird noises..
All his show is about is what you can and can't eat :lol: Ray Mears ftw.
Go onto reptileforums.co.uk and do a search...1000's of people moaning lol

Correction, it was a Columbian Boa Constrictor, it was a beautiful snake, at least 4-5' anyway and had a lovely colour and pattern. Not sure where i got the name Hognose from. I was probably looking up hognose on google before i posted that.

These were shops in Liverpool btw so if anybody would reccomend any others that are local to me then that would be excellent.

And also, i never expected snakes to be so rubbery I thought they were a bit slimey :lol:

try reptelicious in rock ferry birkenhead a fantastic shop

Is it the new one on Old Chester Road? Do they have cornsnake babies do you know, and are they fairly priced?

I am super excited now, just ned to save some cash, and then get my first snake, cant wait!! B-)

thats the one, yes they have the, amd I don';t recall the price, as a shop though its great and the owners are real enthusiasts

I have deciced on anery corn snake, it will be about 8-9 weeks old by the time i get it. My list of things i plan on getting.

Small storage container used as its home (20''x12''x12'') util i can get a suitable viv.

Aspen for bedding

Habistat Thermostat.

2x Exo terra digital thermometers.Ditch these, they are junk that will break and generally be innacurate, get a digital thermometer/ hygrometer instead.

2 hides
Forgetting the mice? :lol:

Hi again folks, so just thought id let you know that i got my snake today, i ended up getting a baby royal ( i know, after all that talk :blush: ) but i am very pleased with it, and it is a guranteed feeder, i have the records etc etc..

I have my heat mat attatched to my temperature thermostat (ministat 100) i have the thermostat set to 31 celsius (the hot side), but the temp keeps rising, isnt it supposed to stop at the set temperature?. Where exactly do i put the themostat probe and the thermometer probe? The thermometer is an exo terra digital one, but the one with one probe not two.

Help is needed urgently, and any help advice etc.. is greatly appreciated.

Hi again folks, so just thought id let you know that i got my snake today, i ended up getting a baby royal ( i know, after all that talk :blush: ) but i am very pleased with it, and it is a guranteed feeder, i have the records etc etc..

I have my heat mat attatched to my temperature thermostat (ministat 100) i have the thermostat set to 31 celsius (the hot side), but the temp keeps rising, isnt it supposed to stop at the set temperature?. Where exactly do i put the themostat probe and the thermometer probe? The thermometer is an exo terra digital one, but the one with one probe not two.

Nice choice :good:
You will find that stats temperatures will always be off, so you will have to calibrate it to what the thermostat probe is saying.Most of mine over heat, and I have a few which under heat also.
What substrate are you using?Kitchen roll, orchid bark etc?
The probe should go directly flat on top of the kitchen roll, pressed down by something, or alternatively underneath held down by tape.Then you can have the thermometer probe on top to see what the temp is when it actually reaches the royal, and change your thermostat until you find the desired temp.
Royals thrive off belly heat, which they need to digest their food, so it's not the air temp you're testing for.

Nice choice :good:
You will find that stats temperatures will always be off, so you will have to calibrate it to what the thermostat probe is saying.Most of mine over heat, and I have a few which under heat also.
What substrate are you using?Kitchen roll, orchid bark etc?
The probe should go directly flat on top of the kitchen roll, pressed down by something, or alternatively underneath held down by tape.Then you can have the thermometer probe on top to see what the temp is when it actually reaches the royal, and change your thermostat until you find the desired temp.
Royals thrive off belly heat, which they need to digest their food, so it's not the air temp you're testing for.

So do i have the thermostat probe under the kitched roll, but still in the viv, or does it need to go directly on the heat mat out side of the viv? And do i have the thermometer probe just above the kitchen roll attatched to the side of the viv? will that work, sorry im kinda confused and concerned about my first snake.

Thanks for the reply

I have my ceramic bulb bout 5 inches off substrate and the end of his hot hidey hole is under there
the probe is about 4 inches away and the thermometer probe is next to it
Mines set at 31 and I believe from the royal python forum which i recomend you join that excess heat is more damaging than cold for royals

You should really get a pulse thermostat and ceramic bulb for a royal as a heat mat isn;t recomended at all

Hope your enjoying your s they are great aren't they

I have everything sorted, the guys at the reptile forum helped me out alot, everythng on track now, just need to let him/her settle in (for now its a he). And i'll try and feed him in a few days, hopefully he eats. I bought it as a guranteed feeder, and i have the records etc.. the guy was also selling non feeders for 35 quid.

He is a great little snake though, love him to bits already, and it seems like he's loving his new home :wub:

Will get pics as soon as i can :)

I have my ceramic bulb bout 5 inches off substrate and the end of his hot hidey hole is under there
Mines set at 31 and I believe from the royal python forum which i recomend you join that excess heat is more damaging than cold for royals

You should really get a pulse thermostat and ceramic bulb for a royal as a heat mat isn;t recomended at all

You must be kidding, you have been GREATLY misinformed.
Pulse and ceramic is a very good set up, for things like sensitive reps and ones which do not require belly heat, however although not bad for a royal it isn't necessary.
Which forum is this?
I go on reptileforums.co.uk, captivebred.co.uk, and ball-pythons.net, ALL royal breeders use heat mats and RUB's, or similar (e.g heat cable) and I have never heard of any issues.
Having a ceramic 5 inches of the substrate? They're not meant to be used that close, as I'm sure the royal could easily reach it, resulting in instant burns.I fried some of my hair and part of my knuckle being careless.

[/quote]
Yes under and still in the viv, that way it isn't misinformed by air temperatures thinking it's cooler than it is.On top of the kitchen roll, pressed down so it reads the temperature from the bottom of the viv.
I have everything sorted, the guys at the reptile forum helped me out alot, everythng on track now, just need to let him/her settle in (for now its a he). And i'll try and feed him in a few days, hopefully he eats. I bought it as a guranteed feeder, and i have the records etc.. the guy was also selling non feeders for 35 quid.

He is a great little snake though, love him to bits already, and it seems like he's loving his new home :wub:

Will get pics as soon as i can :)
During this time, in case you don't know, you should leave him completely alone.Silly things sometimes get stressed over nothing. :lol:

You must be kidding, you have been GREATLY misinformed.
Pulse and ceramic is a very good set up, for things like sensitive reps and ones which do not require belly heat, however although not bad for a royal it isn't necessary.
Which forum is this?
I go on reptileforums.co.uk, captivebred.co.uk, and ball-pythons.net, ALL royal breeders use heat mats and RUB's, or similar (e.g heat cable) and I have never heard of any issues.
Having a ceramic 5 inches of the substrate? They're not meant to be used that close, as I'm sure the royal could easily reach it, resulting in instant burns.I fried some of my hair and part of my knuckle being careless.

Its Royalpython.co.uk, the pulse and ceramic was the one that was recommended by most on there and I was advised away from a heat mat which I intended to keep

The ceramic has a guard around it so not an issue from burns although they do get bloody hot as you say as I didn;t allow it to cool before putting the guard on!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back