Ball Python

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I meant to ask, do you know about temperature dimming, heat gradients and humidity?

Nope, i am a complete beginner. I have just joined reptileforumsuk just before, and the guys there are great, lots of help and advice already. I have alot of readig to do in the mean time, and I'm heading to a few different pet shops at the weekend to price some things up and have a look at the different snakes of course. I'm now leaning more towards a cornsake, as I've had some replies sayign they tend to be more lively and less of a pain to keep. And cheaper of course, which is good for me, as i dont have a great deal of money to spend, so as low as possible. But like i said i have some reading to do, and I'm gonna make a list of exactly what i need too, so hope fully i can let you know soon what i have chosen.

Thanks again for the help, and if you feel theres anything else i should know then please post in this thread, it would be great :)

Ian

Sorry folks, i made a little speling error which has now been edited. See where I've highlighted, originally, the ''now'' was ''not'', if you know what i mean. Which made the sentance, ''I'm not leaning towards a cornsnake''.

Well i am now leaning more towards a cornsnake after reading peples replies and advice on the reptile forum. Not entirely sure why i originally wanted a python, just because i love the look of them, and the headshape and patterns. TBH, i've saw all the these cornsnakes wiht the bright orange colours etc.. and im not to fond of them, i would rather have a snake with a darkish colour to it, just been looking at some different types of corns. Here are a few i LOVE the look of, but I'm guessing there not the ones often found in pet shops? But what do i know.

Ghost corn
Anerytheristic corn
Jungle corn

These ones i really like the look of, they have beautiful patterns and the colours are spot on for me. As i sai, dont really like the look of the bright coloured snakes. But i shall go to a few different places and see if theres any i like.

Another question for Geoff (or anybody who feels they can answrr :) ), does the same temperature and humidity occur for all species of snakes, or in my case, all types of cornsnakes?

Ian

Murphee, if your in the UK then humidity for a corn snake is irrelevant except needing to be slightly raised during shedding.

Corns make great pets, this is my Anery

BILD0698.jpg

For heating for a corn you need a heat mat under you substrate covering about half the vivarium attatched to a thermostat and the temperature on top of the substrate (measured with a digital thermometer) should be between 28 - 30C

edit - jungle corn are a cross between a corn snake and king snake, its unimportant if you like how they look and as far as I know their temperaments are fine.

Another question for Geoff (or anybody who feels they can answrr :) ), does the same temperature and humidity occur for all species of snakes, or in my case, all types of cornsnakes?

Ian

I think most (if not all) corns have pretty much the same requirements, but im no expert with corn snakes, we've never kept one, but my mate has one so i know a tiny bit about them.

But yeah, shrimply pretty much got it in one. I do think its best for you to get a corn first to gain some experience, but i wasnt going to put you off as ball pythons are awesome pets and you couldve done it if you took it slow and researched

Remember, you could get hooked like us and end up with a 14ft (and growing) burmese python, but you also my decide snakes arent for you. You can always get a ball python when you have mastered corns if you still want one.

Yeah you're right, i figure i wil definitely get a corn then , its finding the right one. SO just to cnfirm what age would be an ideal starter snake? do i want a baby corn snake?

Yeah you're right, i figure i wil definitely get a corn then , its finding the right one. SO just to cnfirm what age would be an ideal starter snake? do i want a baby corn snake?

Myself i would find a breeder and get a hatchling, then you know its age and its genetic background, which will be important if you want to breed the animal in the future. You know it has been captive bred, since very few hatchlings are wild collected. Plus you will have the satisfaction of watching your snake grow and mature into its adult coloration.

Yeah, totally agree, though all mine came from a shop I trusted the owner and he was able to give me all that information as the majority of his stock came from private breeders. So don't rule out shops completely. You want a young one so it can grow up with you around, but make sure its fed at least twice unassisted.

Ours was also a hatchling from a shop (the burm that is) and shes been fine. Handled regularly from a hatchling and never seen any aggression. I wouldnt turn my back to her though...

I wanted a ball python as my first as I like the look of the bigger snake and the ball is a smaller big looking snake if you catch my drift and all I can say is he is as easy pie to keep, handles well feeds well has shed now and I;m just totally delighted with him

saying that I have been bitten by the bug and now want a big snake like a burmese!!!

Can you get grass snakes legally in the UK? I have always wanted one of them as a pet given their large size, lack of dangerous teeth, swimming ability and general placid temperment.

Can you get grass snakes legally in the UK? I have always wanted one of them as a pet given their large size, lack of dangerous teeth, swimming ability and general placid temperment.
What about the habit of peeing when in danger :lol:
Join captivebred.co.uk or reptileforums.co.uk, they both have very knowledgeable members, although in the latter you have to search for them a bit more :lol:

Just read the whole thread..
Bp's can be fussy feeders, especially males during breeding season, and it's not unknown for them to go off for up to 9 months at a time.
In fact my 05 female has twice, and doesn't feed properly in-between.She's as finicky as anything, and has never strike fed.
My male pastel strike feeds everytime :nod:
Don't be put off royals, I went with corns first off and I hate to say it but I lost interest in them.
Their humidity can easily be kept up via a large water bowl and a little ventilation or via a substrate such as orchid bark which holds moisture.
Buy from a reputable well known breeder who has feeding records and can guarantee strike feeder.
I bought my male pastel of 'genetic gems' royal/boa breeder and he strike fed from week one.My first one I bought in autumn 2005 as a cb one, only to find she never strike fed, and so most like cf.
Great books such as the 'complete ball python' by kevin mcurlry and VPI's Pythons of the world Volume II should fill you in 100%

There are mixed opinions on that but, i think If it is captive bred then yes, but its a protected species and illegal to keep wild caught ones. If found with it in your possession youd have to to prove its captive bred.

Water snakes dont make good pets, due to their generally aggressive personality, difficulty to find food, and extensive maintenance as youd have to change the water it swims in daily and stuff to avoid bacteria and algae buildup

Still love to have one. Have an aquarium as its swimming pool with excessive filtration.

Ok so i went to a few this morning, and they had a variety of snakes, the woman at the first shop was kind enough to let me handle a few different snakes (as I've never handled one before) I must admit, the moment the snake was on me i fell in love with snakes, it was an amel corn, not sure how old but it was about 2-3 feet long. The next one i handled (just for fun) was a 5 foot hognose, it was beautiful and had a lovely temperament (but a bit to pricey for me)

So i went to another shop and the guy breeds them himself, and he had lots of baby anery corns all different colour morphs and 6 weeks old for £50 they all had the eating and shedding records on the tubs of them, and they all seemed very alert and lively, which is good, is that a good price? Anyway i think i will get one of those, i really liked the colours and it would be an ideal first snake for me, especially at that size as it would give me time to bond with it and let it get to know me etc..

These were shops in Liverpool btw so if anybody would reccomend any others that are local to me then that would be excellent.

And also, i never expected snakes to be so rubbery I thought they were a bit slimey :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back