Anubias Nana?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

B

BettaBettas

So I know this will be... interesting, for the planted aquarium-ists..? made up that word lol, I have had every kind of anubias (so like 3 ) except the most common, anubias nana. can anyone give me a few tips on how this grows and needs? or wants? I don't have Co2 but anubias is a pretty "Doesn't need Co2" kinda plant...

Anubias are amongst the easiest to care for plants actually. A slow growing plant that do shoot out a flower every now and again (this has only happened twice with my anubias over the last few years so i do not know what exactly it is that makes them flower) but still a lovely broad leafed plant that fish and shrimps appreciate in the tank.

They do not require any specific or high tech plants, co2 or extra fertilizers.

It will certainly not harm to add some general fertilzers once a week just to ensure there is enough nutrients to feed ALL your plants, not just anubias. Its not neccessary but this is something i do anyway personally.

The only thing you have to be aware of these nana varients of anubias is that they do not require planting into the substrate, this will rot the roots. So best things is to attach them to wood, decor, rocks etc with thread, fishling line or glue (100% cyanoacrylate glue is safe for aquariums) and perhaps keeping the anubias in shaded area of your tank to help them thrive (they do not do so well under directly high tech lights btw).

BTW there is a lot more than 3 varients of anubias
wink.png

You can also have it as a floating plant, I have 2 nice bits that float my Betta loves sleeping in them, and you can attach it to the sides of the tank with suction cups.

NickAu said:
You can also have it as a floating plant, I have 2 nice bits that float my Betta loves sleeping in them, and you can attach it to the sides of the tank with suction cups.

Indeed you can, I have two plants, not anubias, attached to suction cups on the side of the tank, it helps to cover up areas you do not want to see, such as internal filters or wiring for the heater for example.

A good little tip there, i forgot about that ;)

Nana is treated no different to other anubias varieties (way more than 3 lol)

One of my favourite anubia plant was a Anubias heterophylla, a long stemmed and large broad leafed plant.

It was stunning in my tank a while ago before I closed down one of my tanks and it died when i moved it, think i sadly broke the main root ball when i tried to take it off the wood it was attached to since i had a new piece of wood i wanted to use instead.

But, anyway, these particular anubia plants do require a tallish tank of at least 2 feet to see it pretty much fully grown without trimming it to size but still a lovely varient of anubia imho.

Theres more then 3??? omg, welp I have to spend more money then $$, lol and do some research apparently xD lol. Well thanks Alasse and you to nick, Cha4lie

ok... thanks everyone lol
book.gif
fish.gif

Just looked up that anubias type on google, really pretty. I like how on anubias plants the leaves look kind of fake, but in reality.... There real :eek: *spoiler*

$$$$$ lol, just thought about it and its true... aquaria is truly pricy...

BettaBettas said:
$$$$$ lol, just thought about it and its true... aquaria is truly pricy...

Yep, i look at my reciepts when I buy anything to do with aquariums with eyes wide shut, like this .... :x

Just makes it easier for me somehow :lol:

NickAu i like ur Betta!
smile.png
what type is he?
heres mine

Attachments

• Nates_Pics_002_15.jpg
    Nates_Pics_002_15.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 166
No idea to be honest other than Cambodian something,  The Blue one is a Crown tail.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back