Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

10 gallon stocking ideas?

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by Newbie283, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Newbie283

Newbie283 New Member

Hi there,

I currently started a new 10 gallon 2 weeks ago that I am in the middle of doing a fishless cycle in. Here is a picture, although I am adding some microsworfs along the perimeter of the glass, a moss covered bridge made of coconut shell over the sand, and dwarf baby tears on a piece of miniature driftwood.
    https://ibb.co/dw2kmm

On to my question--
    The main inhabitant of this tank will be a male half moon Betta (very expensive) that I will be receiving in the mail in about 3 weeks. My original plan was 6 neon tetras and a dozen cherry shrimp. I have rethought the tetras as my Betta is so gorgeous (and expensive!) That I don't want to risk his beautiful fins getting nipped. So here are my stocking ideas,
    6 tetras and 12 cherry shrimps?
    2 African dwarf frogs and either 6 ghost shrimps or the 12 cherries (although I know they tend to eat smaller shrimp like cherries so I'm apprehensive)
    Of two cory cats and a dozen cherry shrimp (which is what I'm leaning towards)

Any opinions or ideas on these?? I currently keep two bettas and 3 ghost shrimps in each of my 5 gallons that are doing great, but i would like to keep a new species in this 10 gal.
    Thank you

2. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Corydoras need a larger tank and a group of 6+ preferably. I would not pick neon tetras, I feel they need a larger tank as well because they are active fish. Truly there aren't many schooling species that will get on well in a 10gal tank. Smaller species of rasboras can do ok but because of their small size they could be eaten/killed by the betta. It is a 50-50 change on whether a betta will be able to get along with other fish, which is why it is recommended to keep them alone.

I think your best bet is to stick with just shrimp and snails. Mystery snails and nerite snails come in many different color forms and can be quite interesting to watch.

3. Fish345

Fish345 New Member

I suggest looking at Aquadvisor.com. It will tell you the stocking levels along with the filtration capacity.