Stocking Tank (29gal)

Kurrent

New Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2024
Messages
7
Reaction score
6
Points
3
Location
somewhere
I’m looking for ideas to stock my 29 gallon tank. It’s fully cycled and already has 10 cherry shrimp, 5 amano shrimp, a dwarf Mexican lobster, and a female betta.
The tank is also planted.
I’d like a schooling fish but not sure what direction I’d like to go. I like the harlequin rasboras. Also maybe some Cory’s….?
Just very indecisive right now but I’m open to any ideas.
 
I think your initial instincts about this are excellent. Harlequins especially. Most corys prefer cooler temps than bettas require but there are a few that are comfortable in warmer water, Hoplisoma sterbai and H. oiapoquensis come to mind. The former is a favorite of Discus-keepers who keep their tanks toasty warm. There's been a scientific revision in 'corys'. Both of the above were formerly Corydoras. And 'corys' is still the 'common' name for the lot of them.

One note of caution. Some bettas are intolerant. So the above is suggested providing your female allows it.
 
I think your initial instincts about this are excellent. Harlequins especially. Most corys prefer cooler temps than bettas require but there are a few that are comfortable in warmer water, Hoplisoma sterbai and H. oiapoquensis come to mind. The former is a favorite of Discus-keepers who keep their tanks toasty warm. There's been a scientific revision in 'corys'. Both of the above were formerly Corydoras. And 'corys' is still the 'common' name for the lot of them.

One note of caution. Some bettas are intolerant. So the above is suggested providing your female allows it.
Do you think a couple of otocinclus might be a good “gateway fish” to test the temperament of the betta?
 
Many people struggle with Otocinclus. There's a current thread about one member's struggles. I'd be concerned that if they failed you wouldn't know whether it was the betta or their fragility. Also. they have unique food requirements, different from a betta's. I'd go with six Harlequins.
 
Nice group, sounds like lots of diversity, i just noticed that amano shrimp look like miniature lobsters:D
 
My betta lady and my Mexican dwarf lobster 😃
IMG_8386.webp
IMG_8131.webp
 
Update, I got 7 harlequins and my female betta has done really well! She was a little curious when they were floating in the bag but never flared up or acted aggressively. So far I haven’t seen her chase them once. If things continue to go well, I might consider looking at getting some more harlequins, another small school of fish, or just leaving it as is. I haven’t decided yet 🤣
 
I bet you'll be okay. Personally, I think a larger school of Harlequins will not only make for a beautiful display but will be in the best interest of the fish. Glad to see this update.
 
That's great! I think you'll probably be OK with a 29g. It's big enough that the harleys and the betta can get away from each other if they need to. If you want some bottom feeders that will so well in warmer water, look into some of the smaller loaches, too. Dwarf chain loaches are a lot of fun if you get a school of them--very social and full of personality. Dwarf kuhli loaches (Pangio cuneovirgata) are fun too.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top