April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon that is going to be redone.  I read up on some of your guy's ideas and have kind of put together another possibility.

I would want a betta, hopefully I can get a female betta, male if I have to
4-7 neon tetras
a few breeds of livebearers, probably mollies, guppies, and swordtails  (3x mollies,  3x swordtails,  4-5guppies or however many survive) [about 15 fry in separate tank]
3 ghost shrimp

Let me know if you think there would be any problems. I plan on getting more plants and making some rock caves.
Also does anyone have some plants that are fairly cheap and last for a long time?  I don't want any plants dying really fast. 

I have heard bad things with neons and bettas. As well as guppies as bettas. Especially the fancy ones. Bettas may mistake them for other bettas and attack them. Dont know about the others.

Java fern, anubias, moss balls, and crypts are all easy, hardy plants.

Thanks! I have heard the same with the betta and guppies, most guppies will be female I believe.  Will they be ok? (female guppies)

And thanks for the plants, I will see if they have any at my pet store.

no neons. they nip. many people strongly believe guppies and bettas cant go together, but they CAN!(i have had 2 different bettas with guppies) just make sure that the betta goes in last. that way the other fish are like furniture rather than someone invading her territory.
the setup sounds fine.
yes.gif

ps. NO TETRAS!

No they arnt picky it's just as eje and guppy 2000 have said its a bad choice. Although for me it was the other way around. My beta that I introduced last was horrible and went at anything that moved. I lost 4 neons overnight.

I don't think I will do a betta.  They have to high temperatures but I would have to buy a stronger heater.  It keeps the tank at about 72 F  but its not high enough for a betta.

Some say betas are easy to keep fish
But not always!

Bettas are easy to keep fish, assuming you take their behavior and needs into consideration.

Most reactions

trending

Back