Would This Restock Plan Work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 20 long, fully cycled aquascape. Here is a pic of the layout: http://imgur.com/3YpPnOu

I currently have 3 panda platies, 3 guppies, 6 endlers livebearers, (3 male 3 female) 3 dwarf neon rainbowfish, a bunch of shrimp, 2 blue mystery snails, an albino bristlenose pleco. The reason there is lots of species is because there was a sale on my fav fish website and I bought a bunch of fish at an amazing price. I plan on putting them in species tanks and breeding them t his summer. I wanted to know what are my options for stocking this tank?

It is fairly new, maybe 4 months old and fully cycled. I was hoping to do this: 5 corycats, 5-6 neon rainbows (only buy 2-3 more since I have three), and more endlers/guppies. I had also some other questions about these species. Would I be able to do that stock?

1. I only have 3 rainbowfish and they are always hiding and very skiddish. Most of the time they just swim in a certain spot or just stand still while flapping their fins. They seem healthy but just don't move a lot. I don't want to get more if they are all like this.Is it the fact they are schooling fish and there is only 3 of them?

2. I know the cory cats are bottom feeder fish, do they eat algae? Even if they don't I still want some bottom level fish.

Thanks much.

My cories eat algae wafers when I put them in, but they don't eat actual algae that is on rocks or things in the tank. They are cool bottom-dwelling fish, though. 

No experience with the thread fin rainbows. Like you said, it may be because they need more in the group.

Mark

Mark Z. said:

No experience with the thread fin rainbows. Like you said, it may be because they need more in the group.
They aren't threadfins they are dwarf neon rainbowfish.

You'll want sand if you have cories, and a minimum group of 6.

I havn't had dwarf neon rainbowfish before so can't really say but it's very likely they'd change their behavior if you upped their numbers.
Maybe look up some videos if you haven't already and see how they act in a bigger group? :)

Thank you. And for the cories do I really need sand? I've seen tanks with them without sand. I would probably look into a dwarf corydora or something.

the tanks with sand help with preventing their whiskers from breaking off, causing a infection and eventual death if not dealt with immediatly( i know from experiance as one of my cories died within hours of losing one whisker ), also its a cool thing to watch the cories sift the sand through their gills :3,  its interesting and very entertaining 

I have seachem flourite substrate and I certainly will not be adding sand... 

I was actually recommended cories by another (actually maybe 2-3 users) here when I originally was stocking.

Hi cooledwhip! In the picture, your substrate looks like it has rough edges. If this is the case, it would be best to look for a different kind of bottom dweller because it is the rough edges that can cut the cories' whiskers. Cories are adorable, but they do not eat algae, it's best to keep them in groups of at least 6 (which then limits the number of other bottom dwellers you can have - some of which may eat the algae), and they are healthiest on a different substrate than what you have. Cories are a great favorite among many people, but I think maybe sometimes they are recommended when they shouldn't be.

I love the picture of your tank, by the way. It looks awesome. I love how you've layered the rocks and plants. It is so natural and beautiful.

BeckyCats said:
Hi cooledwhip! In the picture, your substrate looks like it has rough edges. If this is the case, it would be best to look for a different kind of bottom dweller because it is the rough edges that can cut the cories' whiskers. Cories are adorable, but they do not eat algae, it's best to keep them in groups of at least 6 (which then limits the number of other bottom dwellers you can have - some of which may eat the algae), and they are healthiest on a different substrate than what you have. Cories are a great favorite among many people, but I think maybe sometimes they are recommended when they shouldn't be.

I love the picture of your tank, by the way. It looks awesome. I love how you've layered the rocks and plants. It is so natural and beautiful.
Thank you very much. I was thinking of changing the rock layout.

What are some other bottom dweller fish? Cories are adorable. :(

Loaches, other Catfish, snails, some plecos( though they hang around on the glass mostly ) and shrimp i believe are bottomdwellers. though i may be wrong on the shrimp, you could also do crabs, clams, or lobsters( i know some pet stores are carrying them now as my Petsmart is selling the Blue Lobster for 10$ )

I wouldnt put loaches on rough or sharp substrate, Sand or smooth gravel only.

NickAu said:
I wouldnt put loaches on rough or sharp substrate, Sand or smooth gravel only.
am i right with the shrimp, clams, crabs, lobsters, etc for bottom dwellers, or am i mistaken on bottom dwellers

I have seachem flourite and I have seen online other people with the same substrate who have had success with cories. I could even go out and get seachem flourite sand to put over it, which I might actually do. I really want this fish and will change parts of my tank for this fish.

cories dont excatly dig into the substrate, so if you can cover the rough substrate, they will be fine. As long as you get a group of 4 or more( 4 is probally the minimum you could do without them getting to stressed)

I have never seen mine dig deeper than their head, so if they are all like that, then a rather shallow layer of sand should be sufficient, yes?

Most reactions

trending

Back