Stocking inquiry

ambrosia0428 8

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 17, 2026
Messages
216
Reaction score
162
Points
43
Location
Andalusia, Spain
I have a 105L tank planted (so like 90L of true water).
I currently have 9 boraras merah (I got 12 but had a filter accident :'(, it's completely covered now, didn't now about the salmon effect...), 7 Gastrodermus nanus and 4 amano shrimp.
I'll add 15 neocaridinas, 4 clithon corona (horned nerites) and a male honey gourami (possible some otos in the far far future too) in the future 2-3 months.

Could I add more boraras? I plan on buying 5 more to bump their numbers closely to what they started at (My day now is passed counting fish and looking at the filter with hate, today I only could count 7, I hope they're hiding LOL)
But maybe get 10? IDK bc of the future additions and don't want it to get cramped.
 
You strike me as someone who will do the needed water changes on a regular basis. That still doesn't make overcrowding good, as life happens and we get sick, go away, etc.

Bororas are tiny and a very light bioload. Probably by weight, you could make 2 of them into one neon. I would consider going up to 15 if you give up the honey gourami idea. Since a male honey gourami could go colourless with no reason to show off (I always kept them in male female groups of six or more), it might not be the loss you'd expect.

Or, if you keep to the gourami, you could still have a dozen B merah.

When I answered the last time, I thought the dead merah were on the intake. I didn't realize they were in the filter. There is the possibility they may have jumped in through the outflow, in true salmon style. In a lot of filter models, a fish that goes up the pipe gets killed by the impeller.

I've had fish go up the flow into filter chambers a few times over the years.
 
You could definitely get more boraras. I agree that in a 105l it might be wise to ditch the honey Gourami idea. If it were me I would definitely want to make sure that filter was secure from further salmon incidents before I got any more fish, though. You can do amazing things with sponge filter covers, or even stainless steel mesh and silicone.
 
You strike me as someone who will do the needed water changes on a regular basis. That still doesn't make overcrowding good, as life happens and we get sick, go away, etc.

Bororas are tiny and a very light bioload. Probably by weight, you could make 2 of them into one neon. I would consider going up to 15 if you give up the honey gourami idea. Since a male honey gourami could go colourless with no reason to show off (I always kept them in male female groups of six or more), it might not be the loss you'd expect.

Or, if you keep to the gourami, you could still have a dozen B merah.

When I answered the last time, I thought the dead merah were on the intake. I didn't realize they were in the filter. There is the possibility they may have jumped in through the outflow, in true salmon style. In a lot of filter models, a fish that goes up the pipe gets killed by the impeller.

I've had fish go up the flow into filter chambers a few times over the years.
I wanted a "centerpice" fish and don't want to overcrowde them just because "it looks better" so I'll follow your advice!
I have a honey gourami in mind because it's one of the few fish I've read that do good alone and aren't aggresive (like bettas...), but if you differ I will reconsider it! If it's only about the coloring, I don't mind at all! Even if it's semi-transparent I just want to see a big fish swimming and mingling :)
Any bigger, peaceful fish that is ok being alone that you think could do good in the tank? I can do 12 boraras instead of 15-20 if that means I can keep a bigger fish too and they're happy!
 
You could definitely get more boraras. I agree that in a 105l it might be wise to ditch the honey Gourami idea. If it were me I would definitely want to make sure that filter was secure from further salmon incidents before I got any more fish, though. You can do amazing things with sponge filter covers, or even stainless steel mesh and silicone.
put a fine mesh nylon filter bag over it as a measure, when a bit more time has passed and it gets a bit blocked I may use some of the filter sponge I have and put it on it to block the entrance!
 
Adding 5 more Boraras merah to bring their numbers closer to the original 12 should be fine, especially since they’re small and thrive in groups.
 
So at the end, in my current 105L (27G) planted tank I currently have 14 boraras merah, 7 gastrodermus nanus, 4 clithon corona (horned nerite) and 4 amano shrimp

Would adding 1-3 honey gouramis (I'm not sure about the mating aggression), 15 neocaridinas and 7 neon Tetra too much? I want a non aggressive tank, I don't mind doing weekly water changes. Maybe even adding otos next year

The only I really really want of the suggestions are the neocaridinas but I love the others too.
 
I would do your shrimp for bottom, Boraras for top, and 10 Neons for middle and be done. Adding 3 HGs would (imho) be too much at the top, especially if the HGs do nest stuff or court and the Boraras are dangerously close to snack size. If you have to do a HG (and I think they are great center piece fish), do one female.
 
Neons can get a little nippy sometimes too, especially in smaller numbers. Sounds to me like your current stocking is active and interesting. If it were me, I'd add the neocaridinas and call it good.
 
I don’t know your water parameters, but you could also do green neon tetras which are both smaller and generally timid.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top