Leporinus granti… unlike my other fish…

Magnum Man34 149

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,642
Reaction score
6,896
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
so, they are not supposed to get as big as some Leporinus species… 6-8 inches is projected… they are grazers, much more than the tetras I put the babies in with… I believe they are the same fish as is commonly called strawberry Leporinus??? and while I don’t think they are typically thought of as a “head stander” they do spend a good portion of their time at a 45 degree angle, head down… it was reported they like water movement, but at least as “smalls” they seem to avoid it in my tetra tank, and spend most of their time in the bottom 1/3 of the tank… I have 2, they are currently peaceful, and they spend about half the time together, and the other half swimming apart… mine are just babies at 1.5 inches… from the descriptions, they sound like an interesting diversion, in my silver dollar tank, however my 1st 2 didn’t do well, as babies in with adult silver dollars… if anyone has long term experience with them, I’m interested… I’m looking forward to watching them grow up…
IMG_9896.webp
 
Last edited:
Nice looking fish. I have just read in the Aquarist Atlas that they are known in the trade for fin and scale nipping? I obviously did not do a search first time I saw your post.

Yes, ever time (or almost) I come across a fish in here that I am not already aware of, I do a google search. It is how I am slowly learning, as well as off you guys posts.
 
I think that could happen with sedentary fish…
at least at this size, they don’t appear to be a strong enough swimmer to catch anyone else… but I am seeing my sailfin tetras more since adding them ( the sailfins have an almost cichlid habit, and like to claim a secluded spot, and the granti seem to move them out, but neither chase them, or occupy the sailfins favorite spots… I’m not noticing any tattered fins, on the extended tetra fins, but that could be a problem with this particular fish, as the granti grow… but I’m fully planning to move them to the silver dollar tank, as they get bigger
 

Most reactions

Back
Top